easy to hit 3 wood

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
is there a 3 wood out there that is generally known as very easy to hit?

my g15 doesn't like me at all.

yes, i probably should learn how to hit it properly.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got a series 1 Rocketballz and it's really easy and exceptionally long. 240-250 off the tee and 220 off the deck.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I love my Ping drivers (G15 then K15) but never got on with the G20 fairways woods. Bought a Callaway Big Bertha Fusion on Ebay as a cheap option to test, and the very worst I ever hit the 3 wood was still better than my very best with the Ping.

Recently upgraded to a 7 and 4 in the Callaway X2 Hot and (still in the honeymoon period!) but love them.

I'm planning to sell the Fusions if you're interested - will be in the FSale section later today.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without wishing to hi-jack the thread, I'm after a 5-wood that is very easy to use off the deck, in particular. Any suggestions? I quite like the look of the Adams Tight Lies range which have a really shallow face, almost like a cross between a fairway wood and a hybrid.

Any one have any thoughts?

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without wishing to hi-jack the thread, I'm after a 5-wood that is very easy to use off the deck, in particular. Any suggestions? I quite like the look of the Adams Tight Lies range which have a really shallow face, almost like a cross between a fairway wood and a hybrid.

Any one have any thoughts?

G15 or RBZ Stage 2 are easy enough off the deck

m_penn76

Hacker
Visit site
Taylormad V-Steel - Very easy to hit off the tee and even easier to hit off the dck. You can probably pick one up for peanuts now, but i've not found any other club that can knock it out of my bag

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
V Steel is a fantastic shout. I had mine for years and absolutely loved it. So easy to hit off the deck, I've never found a 3 wood to match it in that respect.

I finally replaced it last season with an X-Hot, mainly as a I wanted a little more distance from the tee, as a driver alternative in summer. The x-hot is definitely longer, and probably a little easier to hit off the tee due to the bigger face. It's also longer off the deck, but not quite as easy to hit as the v-steel was.

I would highly recommend either the V-steel or X-Hot though.

If your bad shot with your 3 wood tends to be a fade/slice, then the x-hot is definitely worth a look as it is certainly set up as a draw bias club (as a drawer of the ball anyway I have to guard against a hook). The RBZ is also a very draw bias 3 wood I found, so much soI ruled it out when looking to replace the v-steel. The V-steel on the other hand is much more neutral.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Adams Tight Lies is being marketed as 'easy to hit' rather than ' gives you 25 more yards'.

From what I've read, it is not the longest of fairways woods (albeit not short by any means) and is incredibly easy to hit. I've not hit it to confirm though...

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
Guys, before you go spending your money. What is your normal bad shot with a fairway wood? I'd hazard a guess at either topped or scuttled 1ft above the ground?

pretty much exactly that shot with the odd massive slice or push fade.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Off the tee, something with a big head.... off the deck, no such thing, its a hard shot for most of us and I tend to hit a hybrid instead. If the lie is fluffy going down the last and I have already won I will smash a 3 wood. If your just covering distance and are still not going to make the green its maybe the wrong shot.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
why not just get a 5 wood if you struggle a little with a 3 wood? Sacrifice a little distance, for increased accuracy and consistency.. In my personally opinion, a 3 wood off the deck is among one of the hardest shots to pull off well. I struggled, so have a 5 wood which is my go to club, its awesome. Ping i20.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
why not just get a 5 wood if you struggle a little with a 3 wood? Sacrifice a little distance, for increased accuracy and consistency.. In my personally opinion, a 3 wood off the deck is among one of the hardest shots to pull off well. I struggled, so have a 5 wood which is my go to club, its awesome. Ping i20.

And honesty I bet lots of us would hit them about the same yardage off the deck with the added loft and potential better strike.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree about the 5 wood and seldom hit a 3 wood off the deck unless it's sitting up nicely. The 4 wood X2 Hot so far goes nicely both off the tee and deck...

Something I read recently made sense and that is to consider what the sole of the fairway wood is doing rather than the face or leading edge. So a bit like focussing on what the the sole is doing on a lofted chip shot. In this case think about the sole of the fairway wood brushing/sweeping the grass...take practice swings where you feel/see that happening then step up to the ball and do the same thing :)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Adams Tight Lies is being marketed as 'easy to hit' rather than ' gives you 25 more yards'.

From what I've read, it is not the longest of fairways woods (albeit not short by any means) and is incredibly easy to hit. I've not hit it to confirm though...

That's exactly what I'm after. I don't want something to use off the tee, I want something that is (relatively) easy to hit off the fairway or from a decent lie in the rough.

For someone of my ability though, if it is easy to hit, then it will add at least 25 yards - it's all about hitting the middle of the club for me, if I do that, I'll get a decent result.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
pretty much exactly that shot with the odd massive slice or push fade.
Thats good then. Its a swing issue, not the equipment.
What you're doing to trying to assist the ball into the air and attempting to hit "up". This is not how you hit a fairway wood. You need to cover the ball and hit down into it, or at least hit give it neutral loft. Fairway woods have more than enough loft to get the ball airborne, trust the loft to get the ball up and going.

This is a good read and explains how best to hit a fairway wood.
http://golftips.golfsmith.com/proper-way-hit-fairway-wood-1705.html

I am speaking from experience here, in the past I've hated on fairway woods for the exact reason you've spelled out. Its a swing fault 100%. Once you get this mastered, you can hit any fairway wood.