easy to hit 3 wood

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Tried the X2 Hot at the Kings of Distance and it was excellent. The Fubuki shaft was much better for me than the standard so well worth being fitted.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats good then. Its a swing issue, not the equipment.
What you're doing to trying to assist the ball into the air and attempting to hit "up". This is not how you hit a fairway wood. You need to cover the ball and hit down into it, or at least hit give it neutral loft. Fairway woods have more than enough loft to get the ball airborne, trust the loft to get the ball up and going.

This is a good read and explains how best to hit a fairway wood.
http://golftips.golfsmith.com/proper-way-hit-fairway-wood-1705.html

I am speaking from experience here, in the past I've hated on fairway woods for the exact reason you've spelled out. Its a swing fault 100%. Once you get this mastered, you can hit any fairway wood.

Definitely this .......

Until perhaps 2yrs ago, I was rubbish with Fairway woods too, even as a 10 Handicapper, and paid the price on long holes for sure.
Then, last year I got the RBZ Stage2 3 & 5 woods, and ditched the Driver altogether, and they are extremely powerful and relatively easy to hit, - particularly the 5wood off the deck. That said, its something I now feel more proficient at, so it doesn need work.
The 5 wood for me, off the deck, is a 225 - 245yd Club, depending on strike and conditions, its really that powerful.

I have caught good ones from the turf with the 3, but not quite mastered it to the same extent.

As Lump says, it needs learning, but great and effective shot when you do.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
3 woods are high handicap card wreaking devices.

if I had a quid every time I watched someone duff a tee shot, reach for a 3 wood from a bad lie, duff that, then carve one right into the bushes, I would be a very rich man. or I could at least buy a new sldr mini to try out. ;)

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
why not just get a 5 wood if you struggle a little with a 3 wood? Sacrifice a little distance, for increased accuracy and consistency.. In my personally opinion, a 3 wood off the deck is among one of the hardest shots to pull off well. I struggled, so have a 5 wood which is my go to club, its awesome. Ping i20.

Agree with this, an easier to hit 3 wood is a 5 wood

Great clubs the 5 wood, easy to hit my R580 is also my go to club (till it broke:()

scottkw2003

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've got ping g15 3 wood and just like your dilemma could not hit it at all,
when i did it was a slice or a big push fade,
it was so bad that it cost me a competiotion win by putting ball in rough which could not be found.
it was about to be sold when i watched a video on you tube on how to hit fairway woods and wow i can now hit this with a soft draw so easy.
the guy says take a practice swing and where the club hits the turf this is where your ball should be positioned in your stance,
i was guilty of ball being too far forward in stance causing my slice/ big push fade.
i almost play it out the middle of my stance now and the results are amazing.
it is not the clubs that gives bad shots it is the person swinging them.
i hope this helps.
Cheers Scott

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'll add to the fact that a 3 wood is hard to hit off the ground unless you are a very good golfer. I've just invested in a SLDR Mini driver to hit off the tee and I'm getting rid of my existing 3 wood as all I ever did was hit it off the tee, so I figured I may as well get the maximum distance out of it.

As for 5 woods then I imagine most of them are easy to launch nowadays. I got a 19 degree Wilson Fybrid for 25 notes in a sale which is kind of a 3 iron/7 wood replacement and it's really easy to hit, kind of a mixture of a hybrid and wood. But the shaft is slightly shorter than a wood meaning more control for us higher handicappers. Possibly worth having a look if you can find one cheap.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking of doing the same as you Hacker Khan - get an SLDR Mini Driver to replace the 3-wood (prob 16 degree) and also a 5-wood. I like the sound of the Fybrrid, sounds like what I am hoping the tight lies is.

Do you find there's enough difference in distance between your driver and your mini driver? That's my main concern.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'm thinking of doing the same as you Hacker Khan - get an SLDR Mini Driver to replace the 3-wood (prob 16 degree) and also a 5-wood. I like the sound of the Fybrrid, sounds like what I am hoping the tight lies is.

Do you find there's enough difference in distance between your driver and your mini driver? That's my main concern.

I'm not good enough to hit my driver consistently well yet. So for every one that did go 240 yards and relatively straight, there were plenty that went 200 yards onto the next, and even next but one fairway. Where as my 3 wood mostly hit the right fairway. So I hit a 3 wood off the tee but not off the deck as again I am not good/consistent enough to do that. Hence why I have invested in the mini driver. As that will be my driving club of choice.

I know in the long term the answer is to have a better swing so I can hit a driver well, but in the mean time the mini driver seemed to be a very useful club for my current needs, and with the £20 Direct Golf voucher from GM it was worth a punt. But fully appreciate it isn't for everyone. I'm happy to sacrifice 20 odd yards of distance for hitting the fairway a lot more times with a drive.

Interestingly Mark Crossfield is currently having the same thoughts. He plays the SLDR driver which gained him a good few yards over his existing one, and has put the mini driver in his bag as well, but he also uses it off the deck. I think he's trying to work out if it's consistent enough for him off the deck to keep in his bag.

JohnnyLarge

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've suffered the same problem for years. I just could/cannot hit a 3 wood off the deck. So I used a 5 wood! Even worse, it was a piece of sh*te, heavy as hell, steel shafted, 270cc, deep-faced, Rapier-Made-in-Australia-never-heard-of-them, £5 out of the scrap barrel club.
But it worked!!!!!! Quite long, (+200 yards), straight and easy to hit off the tee because of the deep face.
I tried all sorts of 3,4,5 woods from all the leading manufacturers but none of them came close to this. I only replaced it last year with a Callaway Razr Black 17 deg 4-wood, but to be honest - I hit the Rapier 5 wood better off the tee and it's going back in the bag I think.

John

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use a G25 4w and love it. It's 16.5 degrees and is a nice progression up from my driver which I have at 12 degrees. I'd highly recommend the G25 and also the other ive tried which is the TM sldr range. I'm also after a 19 degree 5 wood as I've never been consistent with a 19 degree hybrid.