Dundonald Sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Terrific course with lovely links turf, great practice facilities, plenty of space, track record of successfully staging tour events. It's an asset with a lot of potential.

Yep, the're certainly starting with a very good course, a good clubhouse can certainly top it off.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
They've increased their joining fee from £40k to £125, doesn't sound like a place that's struggling.

My understanding is that this is not so much a joining fee as a 'buy in' and that members will get it back when they leave.

But obviously serves it's purpose in 'keeping out the riff raff' and some.

Looks to me that Loch Lomond have sold the place at a cut price (in order to retain playing rights for their members) with the expectation that the company will invest in the property and course, while LL members will enjoy those benefits and pocket some cash to work on their home course.

Still seems a bit strange that they wouldn't have the financial where with all to do that themselves as Dundonald could be / is a bit of a cash cow. As the old saying goes when a golf club is selling a fixed asset 'you can only sell it once'.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My understanding is that this is not so much a joining fee as a 'buy in' and that members will get it back when they leave.

But obviously serves it's purpose in 'keeping out the riff raff' and some.

Looks to me that Loch Lomond have sold the place at a cut price (in order to retain playing rights for their members) with the expectation that the company will invest in the property and course, while LL members will enjoy those benefits and pocket some cash to work on their home course.

Still seems a bit strange that they wouldn't have the financial where with all to do that themselves as Dundonald could be / is a bit of a cash cow. As the old saying goes when a golf club is selling a fixed asset 'you can only sell it once'.

They were originally looking for an investment partner who would come onboard, build the clubhouse etc then lease it back to them. It became quite clearly apparent that this wasn't going to happen therefore they sold Dundonald while as you say retaining their membership playing rights.

Serves the purpose for the mega rich, let's see how they now treat the "working class" members of Dundonald.

🤔

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
They were originally looking for an investment partner who would come onboard, build the clubhouse etc then lease it back to them. It became quite clearly apparent that this wasn't going to happen therefore they sold Dundonald while as you say retaining their membership playing rights.

Serves the purpose for the mega rich, let's see how they now treat the "working class" members of Dundonald.

🤔

If all else fails, there will be plenty of places that will take your money and even give you a say in how the club is run.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have just remembered I've a old pal at Malton & Norton GC who lives in Pocklington & his son was a top Junior at Kilnwick Percy GC before it was KP'd. I see what he knows of their impact & what I can safely post on here. ;);)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Have just remembered I've a old pal at Malton & Norton GC who lives in Pocklington & his son was a top Junior at Kilnwick Percy GC before it was KP'd. I see what he knows of their impact & what I can safely post on here. ;);)

And the rest you can PM me with or text.

👍

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have just remembered I've a old pal at Malton & Norton GC who lives in Pocklington & his son was a top Junior at Kilnwick Percy GC before it was KP'd. I'll see what he knows of their impact & what I can safely post on here. ;);)
Well my mate has lived in that area all his life... some 65 or so years.... & knows many who were original members who experienced the whole development & others (including good single figure golfers) who have chosen to join & in all cases its only very positive feed-back he's heard...… & that includes... care of the course (converting an awkward chalk & clay based farmer's creation into a very acceptable Parkland track that regularly hosts the TT) ... modern membership packages.... no problems over tee access etc.
Always round their involvement sounds, very, very encouraging.
In fact, this Summer, his Club's Society from Malton & Norton GC are planning a visit as its that many years since they've had a game there!! Is this sounding just too good?? Well it's certainly better than bad news & Dundonald certainly deserves to have a brilliant future... here's hoping :):)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I played at Dundonald today, first game at "home" in 2019 I think.

Some amount of work has been undertaken over the winter months, lots of bunkers have been redone and a huge amount if gorse/whin management has been completed. I was quite shocked at how much work has been done.

Greens had obviously been cored recently but ran well enough. Less said about my first hit in 3 weeks the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.