Dropping ball while club still on ground

kev_r7

Visit site
So after finding correct reference point and using driver to mark the drop area a guy said it was a penalty to drop the ball while the driver was still on the ground, the ball did not hit the club and I cant find any rule that actually says this is a penalty (wasnt my ball by the way) as I cant find anything specific to say it is or not.

salfordlad

Visit site
The guy is away with the fairies, there is no penalty generally applicable to this situation. If that driver was placed deliberately to deflect or stop the dropped ball in motion AND that dropped ball was deflected or stopped by the club, then there would be a general penalty for breach of 14.3d and the player would need to drop again correctly. But that is entirely different to the OP.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
So after finding correct reference point and using driver to mark the drop area a guy said it was a penalty to drop the ball while the driver was still on the ground, the ball did not hit the club and I cant find any rule that actually says this is a penalty (wasnt my ball by the way) as I cant find anything specific to say it is or not.

Your guy was mistaken. There is no such rule. if your ball hits the club before hitting the ground, you must drop again (without penalty). [Rule 14.3b(2)] If your ball hits the ground first and then the club, there is no penalty and you play the ball as it lies (provided of course that it has come to rest in the relief area) [Rule 14.3c(1)].

Last edited:

sjw

Visit site
Do you HAVE to use the club to work out the area, if it's obvious that it's close enough?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you HAVE to use the club to work out the area, if it's obvious that it's close enough?

No. All that is required is that the ball hits the ground within the relief area and comes to rest within the relief area. Only if there were any doubt, would a club be required for measuring - your longest one (except for a putter).