Dropping a ball - history question

tomboy007

Visit site
Here's a tester - When did the drop rule change from you place the ball if the ball rolls outside the 1 club range or nearer the hole (for a free drop - say from a path) after the 3rd drop to the current after the 2nd drop?

Also - here's a blast from the past - when did dropping the ball change from over the back of the shoulder to in front with outstretched arm?

Thanks

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here's a tester - When did the drop rule change from you place the ball if the ball rolls outside the 1 club range or nearer the hole (for a free drop - say from a path) after the 3rd drop to the current after the 2nd drop?

Also - here's a blast from the past - when did dropping the ball change from over the back of the shoulder to in front with outstretched arm?

Thanks

Point 1 - as far as I can ascertain there has never been a 3-drop situation but am happy to stand corrected (the rule, by the way, is if the ball runs more than 2 club lengths).

Point 2 - 1984 was the change.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Thanks

Point 1 - as far as I can ascertain there has never been a 3-drop situation but am happy to stand corrected (the rule, by the way, is if the ball runs more than 2 club lengths).

I always thought it was drop twice and if it rolls either more than 2 club lenghts OR nearer the hole then the 3rd drop you placed where it fell (if it rolled away more than 2 club lenghts etc etc)

no idea on arm change except I was a man when it changed so I am very very very old :mad:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks

I always thought it was drop twice and if it rolls either more than 2 club lenghts OR nearer the hole then the 3rd drop you placed where it fell (if it rolled away more than 2 club lenghts etc etc)

no idea on arm change except I was a man when it changed so I am very very very old :mad:

I was an oldish man when it changed.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks

Just to be quite clear, there is no 3rd drop. The sequence is drop, re-drop, then place (if nearer the hole, more than 2 club lengths etc.).

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The sequence is drop, re-drop, then place

If you have to "place" then I recommend carrying out the following sequence...
A) On a nice fluffy lie.
or
B) The tee you just put down to indicate where you drop (after pushing it down to make sure it is the right height).

I only recommend "B" if your trusting playing partners have walked away to their own balls.