Driving Range Mats

LinksTurf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Love how they claim "This is why it is found at the best practice facilities in the world such as St Andrews" - here's the mats at St Andrews Links - good condition but standard mats - don't look like powertee

View attachment 9665

My local range just had the powertees taken out and has replaced them with good quality standard mats. The powertees were hired from the manufacturer, but were often erratic and/or out of action completely. I loved them when they first went in, but am now glad they got rid of them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree with the OP. Theirs a small par 3 down the road from me called Lavender Park that have mats all year round, they are in absolutely terrible condition and are like concrete, if you happen to just touch the mat millimetres before the ball the club bounces straight up and you end up with a painful hand and a thinned shot. Even when you hit the ball first the club still slams into the ground potentially causing injury

Where do you play? I use Lavender a lot and agree with what you say. Since I started going there, I've had more cases of golfers elbow after hitting balls regularly. I never have the same issue with a Powertee mat. I'd love a range to install Truestrike mats around here but guess the cost and the frequency of use (not sure of the longevity of a gel filled mat) are prohibitive factors

Noidea

Hacker
Visit site
Yes it's not good on the body but Im saying it shouldn't affect shot pattern to much unless the guy is scooping as it sounds he may be.

Daveyboy , I posted the original thread and and clearly understand where your coming from in thinking i am scooping the ball, the post was intended to state that knowing the various quality's of surface i have come across it has started to play on my mind that i am thinning too many shots in practice and clearly does not replicate a proper contact.

I was trying to say that when i hit a few balls from the pro booth i felt a true strike hitting down and taking a fraction of divot without jarring wrists elbows and more often than not my back.

3Sixty

Medal Winner
Visit site
2 Ranges that I frequent.

One which is abit closer to me, the mats and balls are probably average at best while the bays themselves are in need of a serious upgrade. Nice little pro shop and bar attached though. Very reasonable prices too, especially during 'Happy Hour'.

The other has been referbed quite recently. Mats are really good, bays are simple but nice, balls are brilliant. However its VERY expensive, 90 balls for £7.50 last time i went i think. New big pro shop too with prices to match the range!

I go to the first one the most. Then again, quality of mats doesn't really matter when i spend most of my time on a course in the long stuff.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My local range is shocking, I remember being at the opening night of it over 20 years ago, and in that time they have changed NOTHING! It's a disgrace, same mats, same one piece ball thats like hitting a brick and the same 'pro shop' (it's a 20 year old portacabin) with nothing but twix's and used balls that have been hit onto the range from the course next door for sale, the car park isnt even surfaced. I have always said to the wife that if I had the money I would love to buy it and run it properly.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We've got good mats at our place but I still use the sort stubby tee that's provided, in fear of elbow injuries.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had a few minutes free at lunchtime so wandered over to a nearby range. Collected balls and figured I'd come over all macho and use the 'tough' mat; the heavily worn one folks usually avoid with no tee and the appearance of smooth baked tarmac. Hit a few wedges fine then turned to a 4 iron. Demonstrated all shots in the arsenal; pulls, pushes, draws, fades, 1 shank and a couple straight. Four woods were fine and nipped them off mostly ok.

Couldn't believe how exposing this mat was to the quality of strike but also feared any fault in setup was immediately punished by the head turning over as the heel caught on the mat. Importantly (to me at least), I can't decide if this is a good thing in that if you can hit off there anything else is easy or if the golfers fragile confidence can all too easily be knocked??