Driving Range - Keeping it interesting!!!

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I usually arrive full of anticipation hit some wedges and short irons, working up to longer irons, progress on to fairaways, then hit 7/10 drivers before coming back through the bag to short-irons. Obviously working on anything that has caused problems recently with more focus.

The only problem is that sometimes it can become a bit tedious and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts / tips / ideas on how to keep time spent on the range more interesting.

B

birdieman

Sounds like you're spending too much time there and getting bored. If you are going through the motions you're not achieveing much. Hitting off mats with irons is not the same as off grass because you can't take divot so you're not getting real feedback on whether you're hitting fat or thin etc. Everybody hits it well off mats, you need to be practising on real turf where an exact strike is required.
You are more prone to injury hitting off mats too. I'd hit the gym instead, build up the quads, glutes and abdominals so you come out next year a machine!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like to simulate a game by imagining how each shot would finish if I were playing it on my home course. That gives plenty of variety and helps you think about how to play shots rather than just blasting them down the range.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am lucky in that my local club has a par 3 course that I can get round in about an hour so I tend to practice on there when I can and only use the range to practice my longer clubs.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Practicing on a par 3 course is far more interesting than standing on the range plus you get to practice loads more different types of shot. I get sooo bored at ranges. They make me want to weep. Has anyone been to top golf and are simulators any good for golf practice?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Hitting off mats with irons is not the same as off grass because you can't take divot so you're not getting real feedback on whether you're hitting fat or thin etc."

Really? I've never found this...surely the flight tells you all?

I always practiced off a mat and honed my irons nicely trusting in getting even better contact with a small divot...
Dave

cosworth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
this wk for the first time at the range i played the course of my local.
tee off as if i was on the first then played the remaining yardage according to the distance of my shots if that makes sense then go thru every hole.
made it a bit more interesting for me any way.
bit of a prob with the old putter tho as the mat was a small green an the hole was to small.only kidding.

cosworth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
oh by the way as ive just discovered the tiger in me i was wondering is it just me that cant see birdiemans and muttleee pics???????????
ive just got a square showing with a red cross that does nothing.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with Cosworths approach especially in the winter months-play your local course from tee to green-It changes the way you approach practice, your hitting different clubs every shot just like your weekend game.I also try and take a little time between shots to stimulate the walk up the fairway.

B

birdieman

I also try and take a little time between shots to stimulate the walk up the fairway.

That's pretty serious practice! Do you walk round and round the driving bay?

I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn't have it so I gave up.

B

birdieman

John Findlay -I'm a little intrigued with your ABC pic. What is it about? Tell you what it makes me think of - I once had to attend one of those team building/motivational bollo$s days at work where this guy (one of the firm's heed-honchos) stood up said his piece and finished by saying " Remember ABC....Always Be Closing". Vomit! Is that what your ABC means? Or is it that your a closet Jackson 5 fan?
I hate all that American inspired management speak -it just doesn't fit into the UK workplace, us as a race having some modesty and decorum etc etc.
Cosworth your pic is too loud and bright for 8.30 am, it takes over the page...tone it down!
The only other pic I see here is bunkermentality's earth from moon pic - quite Athena 1975 but ok!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Birdieman,

The reason behind my wee logo ( I believe they call it an avitar ) isn't so meaningful. Basically, Atticus and others got the pick of the crop from the standard GM group and there weren't many left which I liked (the death logo isn't me).

No, I'm not a salesman or a Jackson 5 fan. I just thought the ABC was appropriate because on some days the game's as easy as ABC and on others it's A Bloody C***

Maybe it's a reminder to get back to basics. Never a bad thing.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't know why my avatar thingy isn't showing up. I don't even see the red 'X' where it should be. I went into my profile and tried to upload it again but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Curiouser and curiouser. :D