Driving manners (!)

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do about 50k a year and I have dobbed about 15 erse holes into the polis. I did it last Tuesday on the A9 when a tommy tanker in a Focus was bouncing off the kerbs trying to keep awake. I recorded him on my own phone from a windscreen mounting and the cops pulled him.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I followed a guy who was so pissed one night he was bouncing off of the parked cars on his near side. I phoned the law whilst following him and watched him mount a kerb and go straight into bollard. He then tried to drive off again by which time the police had arrived.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
...at which stage the police proceeded to issue the unknown driver with a caution, before giving jon an on the spot fine for being on his mobile.

Only joking, but after some of the police behaviour I've seen things like that would no longer surprise me.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Drunk drivers!

A bloke at work was moaning after being caught leathered behind the wheel.

With a total lack of sympathy I told him he was a dick and fully deserved his punishment.
I don't do it, why should others get away with it. Everyone knows it's illegal, so why do they do it?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
theeaglehunter, as nice as you are, moped users are complete a-holes down here mate.

They hang around together and there is this little firm of w@n**rs who think that they are hells angels. They swarm around cars, bang on the car windows, ride up your chad and general other assorted twatness.

I vehemently hate them and will do everything possible to cause the little yobs maximum obstruction.

Shame as these toerags give decent ped riders a very bad name.

Don't blame you for having one, not my cup of tea personally but everybody needs a vehicle I suppose. As soon as you can ditch that ped and go get a Honda Blackbird, which to be honest is sex on 2 wheels.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jon, I accept what you say completely. And unfortunately it is the same in my area. Take my word for it however that I use my moped for simple commuting backwards and forwards be it from school or football or just going out somehwere else, and I do not spend what spare time I have sitting outside shops reving up my 50cc engine looking like a complete t**t.

Also I use to do a bit of off road bike riding a few years ago so know a fair bit about bikes, and got a ped because it was legal and allows me to get around easier.

As for those who do as you described, they are all dim-witted wannabes who have seen football factory, bought a fake stone island jumper and therfore have become rock solid overnight-I am honestly nothing like that.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
teh, its a shame that the likes of yourself will always get tarred with the same brush as the morons that own peds.

If anyone ribs you about haveing one give them some back. My 1st car was a 1983 fiesta 1.3 ghia (supersport wheels, k&n, piper exhaust), some people at my 6th form took the right piss out of me for it, I just used to say "what do you drive? sweet F.A mate other than your push-bike!"

the ped must be a bugger to carry your clubs on though! :p

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yea, I do get pissed off with the stereotype but to be honest rarely get annoyed with the person as I appreciate entirely what they are saying. The people that do make me laugh though are those that try and take the mick out of me because I don't sit on street corners with them late at night doing bugger all sitting on my ped...Surprisingly I have better things to do.

As for taking the clubs, I have been known to stick a few clubs in a rucksack, tie the zips together at the top, and drive myself to a floodlit range. Things we'll do for golf ey! Never attempted my fully loaded bag though.

I just can't wait to get a car, I'll practically be living at my golf club.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
MWJON i was actually thinking of you an MVP the other day (no comments please) I was watchin street wars featuring sgt swanny, the other night and it was in kent (medway i think too, medway tactical support), funnily enough the boys in blue were speaking to moped riders and seized there bikes for ridin on the pavement outside the local shops. So i can see exactly your point here. They were cheeky little sh*ts and there parents wernt much better either! Thing is, it goes on everywhere, not just your way, am sure every town has them.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
With regards to undertaking - had a discussion with a drivin instructor and he reckons if someone is doing 50 in the outside lane and everyone else is doing 60/70 in the middle and inside lane then you not undertaking because you not breaking the limit. He said you cant expect all traffic to drive slower coz some prat is going 50 in the outside lane!

Technically I think he's right IF you don't pull out of the same lane (ie from behind him) in order to overtake. It is perfectly legal if the traffic in an inner lane is travelling at a higher speed than an outer one. There are however more than enough idiots who will do so.

How often do you see a virtually empty inside lane with both outers packed? I can often shave 10 mins off my time to work travelling at around 60 in the inside lane.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Highway code 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Pretty clear I'd say.....there are some drivers who see the lanes as a free for all, gran turismo style....

If I was a traffic cop and witnessed the mad any-lane burn up, I'd throw the book at the driver and make him pay to go on retraining or lose his license.

Unless you are in congestion, it ought to be safe to move back over to the left without the worry of cars moving faster.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
I used to drive on average 65k miles a year in the last job and would admit to all of the above sins at one point or another, but since my son came along and the change of job I no longer suffer from road rage.

I sit at 70 on M-ways with cruise control on and relax nothing bothers me anymore if they are tailgaiting I flick on my lights it looks like you are braking and they back off, or they slam on their brakes and look like the plonkers they are.
I'm guessing if you're getting tailgated at 70, you're a middle lane hogger?

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Highway code 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Pretty clear I'd say.....there are some drivers who see the lanes as a free for all, gran turismo style....

If I was a traffic cop and witnessed the mad any-lane burn up, I'd throw the book at the driver and make him pay to go on retraining or lose his license.

Unless you are in congestion, it ought to be safe to move back over to the left without the worry of cars moving faster.
Very very few I'd say, and a tiny proportion of the drivers who think the inside lane has some sort of contagious fatal disease.

I'd throw the book at any driver who decides to move out from the inside lane when there's no-one to overtake. Sadly for most of us, we'd pretty soon run out of books.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like you, Dave, I don't drive the busy roads much. However, I was returning from Gatwick on the M25 on Wednesday evening. Typical was the little twit with no lights clutching his mobile and undertaking and weaving at 80mph.

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On my commute to work the only place I see bad driving is in my mirror.
There is only one stretch where The plonkers do not follow the keep left instruction of the Highway code is the start of a Bus lane, the signs state the times 7.30 untl 9.30am and it is outside these times.
Remember keep left at all times.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It amazes me to hear Brits complaining about the driving in the UK. Go to the Persian Gulf if you want to see loony driving. I saw people READING as they drove along highways, kids as young as 10 driving Range Rovers and a bloke driving with his foot hanging out of the window. Driving through red lights is normal, as is driving the wrong way up a one way street.