Driving irons ???

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve tried a few of them. TMB, Taylormade udi, crossover, Ping rapture, Adams dhy but I now have an MP H5 in the same shaft as the rest of my irons and love it. Probably more of a summer club as the roll I can get makes it a great option on tighter holes or into a breeze.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve tried quite a few over the last year and settled on one.

Adams DHY-felt like hitting the ball with a frying pan.

Ping crossover (original) chunky looks but works excellently although did get a few hooks now and again

TMB 3 Iron-superb looks, great feel, not the most forgiving for me.

Mizuno MP H4-lovely lovely club, can be picked up cheap, forgiving and easy to launch. Can be picked up very cheap so d you are experimenting with one then this is a winner.

Srixon ZU65-for me the best of the bunch, easy to launch, looks superb, goes like a rocket from tee or deck, forgiving and feels great. Still in my bag and will be there for a while yet I imagine.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I’ve tried quite a few over the last year and settled on one.

Adams DHY-felt like hitting the ball with a frying pan.

Ping crossover (original) chunky looks but works excellently although did get a few hooks now and again

TMB 3 Iron-superb looks, great feel, not the most forgiving for me.

Mizuno MP H4-lovely lovely club, can be picked up cheap, forgiving and way to launch. Can be picked up very cheap so d you are experimenting with one then this is a winner.

Srixon ZU65-for me the best of the bunch, easy to launch, looks superb, goes like a rocket from tee or deck, forgiving and feels great. Still in my bag and will be there for a while yet I imagine.

This is the big thing that they had to change with the G400 Crossover. The original one had a tendency to go left on you and it turned over very easily. For me the G400 is night and day, not just an improvement but a HUGE improvement. I was sceptical about even trying it and had my heart set on the Srixon till I got given a demo one from the Ping rep for a couple of days.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I tried many driving / 2 irons, cobra, titleist, Taylor made srixon and Callaway.

I settled on the 718 T-MB and it was a great club, I then ended up hitting a friends 712 u as he wanted a try with my T-MB.

We literally switched clubs that same weekend and he gave me some money on top. I then had the lie bent to suit me as otherwise specs were suited to me.

I love the T-MB it’s a great club but I found I could still it higher than desired at times unless I forced myself to hit a low ball, which I didn’t want to do on the safe shot.

The 712u with X100 shaft had the trajectory I couldn’t find with any other club. It was just that little more penetrating for me just on my normal swing. This is likely not an issue for most and more of a swing characteristic of mine. I do find newer driving irons etc too easy to het high though, whereas older models seem to not have that feature.

The T-MB I couldn’t knock, very easy to hit, forgiving and looked great. My friend was made up and so was I.

I wish I still had the T-MB in my bag on looks, it was beautiful. But my course back 9 plays like a links And the 712u does exactly what I want from the club.