Driving irons ???

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m thinking about getting a driving iron to use off the tee when I don’t want to let rip with the driver on holes it’s key to find the fairway and I don’t want the high floating ball I get off my hybrid .So what are others using and how forgiving are they I’m not sure what to go for so any advice would be great cheers

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i dont think i could hit a driving iron far enough to quantify the need for one in my armoury. I think that my 5 wood would do the job required as i can hit it stinger style and keep it low without the fear of ballooning up.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve hit the mizzy MP-h5 2iron plenty of times and even during my bad spells still found it very easy to hit. If you look around you can find the mp fli hi or H4 for around £40-50. The launch will be based on your normal ball flight with irons and I’m sure that the shaft may have some influence.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Best driving irons are the srixon utility irons, more forgiving than the titleist or taylormade udi but still look compact enough for those who don't like hybrids. Very good feel off them too

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m in the market for a driving iron, had a hit with a TMB, and didn’t find it that forgiving, also had a hit with a Srixon SU85, and found that easier to hit - going back when I’ve got more time to try some others.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What spec is your crossover and do you find it forgiving ?
It's the G series, 4 iron, stiff.
I hit a fairly low ball anyway so it goes like a 2 iron and runs for miles.

I find it very forgiving - slightly heavy contacts still seem to go a very long way, much better than say a traditional 2 iron.

I think there may be a later version available but haven't tried it so can't comment if it's any different

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the cobra utility with adjustable loft, it’s forgiving enough but out of the toe it’s awful. I was fitted for this by Joe Folker from cobra with an Aldila rogue shaft.

My only reservation is at the time of the fitting I didn’t have the opportunity to test any from other manufacturers.

I have had a play with the ping crossover since and found it launched higher but was definitely more forgiving.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
The ping crossover seems to be liked which says a lot ,haven’t heard much about the Taylormade p790 udi which has surprised me