Driving distance

Leejohnston16

Hacker
Visit site
Hi guys. So today I went in my local golf simulator with the sole aim of driving over 300 yards. I hit about 8 shots with 3 different drivers and kept the best 5 to compare.

My own driver is a titleist 915 D2 10.5 stiff.

Average stats were 13.2 launch angle, 2122 spin, 243 carry and 272 total dist. (284 max)

2nd driver was a 2017 M1 9.5 set at 8.0 stiff.

Average stats were 13.4 launch, 1218 spin, 253 carry and 279 total dist (289 max)

And the 3rd was a callaway rogue 10.5 stiff.

Average stats 12.4 launch angle, 1892 spin, 259 carry and 283 average total dist. (291 max)

The M1 and rogue were just there in the studio and I decided to try them out. What I thought was really interesting was especially with the M1 how massively low the spin rates were yet I still managed to get a decent average total distance. And the rogue was similar with higher spin rates and more distance. My titleist was the closest to the ‘optimum’ rates which are apparently between 2400-2600 with a launch angle between 11-13 degrees yet had the shortest average distance and I can’t see me hitting over 300 yards with that club. However if I were to get properly fitted for an M1/2 or a callaway rogue/epic I think 300yards could certainly be achievable. And before I decide to go spending £350 on a driver would love to know what you guys think? Thanks.

Leejohnston16

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks guys.. so to be fair I’ve been struggling of late with a little bit of an over-draw, this was apparent in all 3 clubs but no one club was drastically different than the other. Looking at the stats all 3 clubs suffered between 3-27 yards off line, but as you can imagine my only aim was distance so accuracy was always going to suffer. The M1 was set at ridiculously low loft, not something I would ever choose for myself but one thing I will say is on my bad hits such as off the toe or heel, with the titleist I would loose 20-30 yards but I didn’t seem to lose much distance at all with the M1 or Rogue.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Dude, you're hitting it 270 with your Titleist, work on keeping it straight rather than getting it long, it'll make a massive difference when playing your next shot.

As it happens I also have a 915, D3 though, and ain't short either, getting it in play is my goal, guess what, over drew two tonight, they were long but so what, they were in the trees,

Leejohnston16

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah I completely agree with that, accuracy over distance everytime.. but the other drivers weren’t any ‘less’ accurate but gave more distance. I feel if I were to be properly fitted I would be gaining more than I’m losing when it comes to accuracy and distance, the question I have is it worth paying the money? Even if a properly fitted driver gave me an extra 15-20 yards and was more forgiving I would never pay new release prices, I’d go as far as £200-250 2nd hand.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've just asked the question in another topic about spin rates, those two under 2000 seem very low which I understand can have serious effect upon side spin.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum chap. Quick question - would you say driving is the strongest part of your game? What's the obsession with the 300? Other than it being an excellent movie.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
apart from all the optimum launch conditions you would need to carry the ball 300 yards (only around 1% of index players can hit it that far)

2 important #'s left out of the OP are what's the true CHS & Ball Speed that's been delivered at impact?

unless the drive is being hit on rock hard ground to get anywheres near 300+ yards drive - the carry distance is goin to have to be up around & over the 285 yard mark at least as a ball park figure

what's your handicap index?

Leejohnston16

Hacker
Visit site
I was quite shocked at how low the spin rates were! I always thought I hit slightly down on the ball but from the m1 numbers the launch angle being at 13 degrees yet spin rate 1100 it would seem that’s not the case?

Leejohnston16

Hacker
Visit site
Unfortunately the only stat not available to me was clubhead speed, a guesstimate would be 100-105 but I did see my ball speed was approx. 150mph across the board.

Leejohnston16

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah I’d probably say I find driving the easiest part of the game.. I’m quite consistent, quite straight, very rarely get into much trouble from the tee. Driving over 300 mainly comes from competition between friends, although I’d say I’m the most accurate of my friends I’m usually a couple of yards behind them despite my best effort and a bit of male pride comes into play haha.. trying to hit over 300 in the sun was mainly just a bit of fun and to see how close I could get and to see if different drivers actually made a difference.

Leejohnston16

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah tbf the main thing I noticed with the sim is massive roll-out.. this time of year out on the course il be lucky to get more than 8-15 yards of roll.

Leejohnston16

Hacker
Visit site
Hi there.. unfortunately the only number not available was CHS, I would say it’s about 100-105 and my ball speed was 150mph average across the board. As of the end of last year my HC is 9.6 but I can play to 5 when I’m form. When not trying to leather it my average driving is about 250-260yds and straight.

Leejohnston16

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry guys I thought I was replying to each of your posts.. it looks like I’ve just posted a load of replies without anyone knowing who they were for in particular 🙈

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No worries Lee. You're like a better version of me. I'm around the same handicap and driving is the strongest part of my game too.

I need to work on my putting. And wedges. Forget extra distance! Spend the money on lessons from 100 yards and in. You'l be troubling Cat 1 in no time. :thup:

Leejohnston16

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah I couldn’t agree more curis, at our level the only way to get down is better short game and I’ve promised myself it’s what I will spend most of my practicing on this year, best of luck to you aswell 👍

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi there.. unfortunately the only number not available was CHS, I would say it’s about 100-105 and my ball speed was 150mph average across the board. As of the end of last year my HC is 9.6 but I can play to 5 when I’m form. When not trying to leather it my average driving is about 250-260yds and straight.

sorry to burst your bubble, but to be hitting it 300 yards and over you will need close to 120mph club head speed. distance it not everything i'm off 4 and hit it 230/40 at most on a good day. you say you can play to five, how often are you playing comps?? as if you can do that on a reg basis why are you still off 10?