drivers

elling

Visit site
I have been playing golf for a year now and can only drive thw ball off the tee 150 yards. That is according to the driving range markers. I tend to slice the ball as well. Someone recommended to me the Macgregor MACTECVVG2 draw driver.Does anyone have any other suggestions.

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
A draw bias driver might help but lessons would help more. Also make sure your driver is fitted to your needs, do you slice with your irons? Good luck with it.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, easy - Ben Sayers M2 460 ti. available for £49.99 online.

Ignore the offset thing, go take a few lessons instead.

With the greatest of respect to a keen beginner.....you might get on better with a good 3 wood. I didn't move up to regular driver worship until I could hit my 3 wood straight(ish) and mmmm, 180 yds or so.

Dave

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a few drivers that I sliced predictably all the time.

That all came to an end when I found the right balance of loft and shaft. What's your existing model?

If you can say it's only the driver that you struggle with an offset could be good. Trouble is, I had one offset club once and as I straightened out my swing generaly, it became a nightmare club

Dave

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Definitely lessons, just don't expect instant miracles.

With few exceptions (that will doubtless be mentioned very soon!) I don't think any club would be so bad as to be the cause of all your woes - unless it's significantly too long/short for you.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was fine with all of my clubs except my driver and tried all sorts to find the right one. Ended up having an Orka Kii fitted by a club maker. The combination of a shorter shaft and a higher loft has produced a club that I am confident with.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Drivers always exagerate swing faults because of the low loft. 15 years ago (maybe more), very few mid to high handicapped golfers could use a driver, and although they are more forgiving now, they still aren't easy to hit.
I would say get some lessons, but I still wouldn't expect wto suddenly be able to hit the driver without a lot of of work on your swing.

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I first bought a Cobra 440SZ about 2yrs ago and then progressed onto one of the new Cobra LD range. Both clubs have been very forgiving for me, and I tend to now hit about 70-75% of fairways and as a result in 2yrs my handicap has come down from 21 to 12.

I don't think these are the longest (in terms of distance) but are very forgiving (i think i avereage about 230-250) with the odd belter thrown in when I hit it really well.

In the 2 1/2 yrs I've been playing I have sworn by regular lessons (about 4/5 at the beginning for the fundamentals) with the odd swing check every now and again.

If you regularly slice the driver re-check yr fundamentals

1) grip to strong/weak
2) Alignment (are you setting up too open)
3) Swing path (are you coming out to in)

I wouldn't bother with an off-set club but would highly recommend that you get some lessons and obviously practice as often as you feasibly can.

Also I would stress that you shouldn't get too pre-occupied by distance, concentrate on hitting it straight, as there's no substitute for playing yr second shot off the fairway!

My main advice is keep plugging away at it, and over time it will come, mostly its about getting confidant with yr swing. I've seen many people on the course with all the latest flashy technology who couldn't hit the ball if they tried, but most of all enjoy it! Good luck