drivers

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I have the Cobra F speed and love it, cracking sound and gives great confidence. I can not justify G10 cash when the F speed does the job for me at half the price, and thats what its all about its what suits you.

B

birdieman

I have tried most of them, and the answer is custom fit. If you ignore draw biased drivers as being rubbish as they try to correct swing faults that a lesson could fix then there can't be any difference in the heads at all.

Once the COR is limited, the volume is limited, the maximum dimensions are limited, the moment of inertia is limited, what difference can there be except styling.

Ok, some are more biased towards getting the ball airborne, which rules out Cobra heads for me, but in general there can't be that much difference in the head.

So it all comes down to shafts.

Answer: for the driver, the most important thing is get on a launch monitor and get the right shaft.

Listen to this man, he speaks sense. Put any of the modern driver heads square on the ball on the right swing path and you'll hit it straight. Shaft is key, if you're managing a slight draw with a stiff shaft then I'd say stiff is the correct flex for you. I've been through dozens of drivers and it's all about the shaft - can't go wrong with Aldila NV or Grafalloy blue, V2 is good too but a bit heavy in the 75g for most of us, better the 65g one.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going with birdieman on this.

I have sidelined my draw bias driver and am awaiting a normal (non-fusion tech) driver.

In a GM test I read, the launch varied between 3 drivers all of the same loft.......if this is true, then a test with the launch monitor is essential, as is plenty of real balls, even if they have to be range ones.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried a callway Fti square driver last night.... i carried it 260 into fog couldnt believe it, and the dispersion rate over the 8 odd shots i hit was no more than 20 yards which i thought was pretty good. this baby had an 11 degree loft and a regular flex shat so it launched into space before it came back down. Made me think about my set up.

MVP, are YOU questioning your FITTING results :eek: :eek: ?????????

Will you buy the FT-i off the shelf :D :D ???????

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
hi all - been a while

I got fitted a hi-bore a month or so ago , spent ages hitting all makes and models on a launch monitor and settled for a 9.5 degree stiff shaft. However, as soon as I get it on the course i hook the ball badly. I even carried two drivers last week for a friendly game and my old battered G5 is so much straighter - I guess it could be all in the mind.

My advice tiger is to see if your pro will loan you a driver for a week or so on the course and make your choice after that. Custom fitting is great but if your swinging a certain way on the day your being fitted it can come back and bite you like it did me.

I also 100% agree with the posts above, the shaft is the most important part of the club.

Good luck, jnr

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm liking my Hippo Hex2 - whilst its not as long as other drivers it has helped with my accuracy. I'm not sure if its just coincidence but feel it has helped me use the TM R7 quad more effectively although when I hit that bad it really goes bad!

Would recommend getting to the range and trying a few out. Never tried the G10 but am tempted to try it out sometime. Likewise the Burner. I know a couple of guys who's driving has really come on since getting the Callaway FT-5.

trickietree

Medal Winner
Visit site
My recommendation is the Cleveland Hi-bore.
Long but also forgiving.
The new xls looks great - see the reviews in this months golf monthly.
The shaft is the most important component so when you've picked your driver, make sure the shaft suits your swing.