Driver with 3 wood shaft- advice

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi All
I’m looking for a bit of advice from anyone who knows about these things.
I grip down quite drastically on my driver so I’m looking to potentially put a 3 wood shaft onto a driver head. I don’t want to cut a shaft down as I read it can affect swing weight etc?
So can it be done?
Can I buy a 3 wood shaft with adapter “thingy” on the end and buy a driver head and then just screw it on?
Do all/most heads fit all/most shafts??
Has anybody done this?
Any replies/info much appreciated
Cheers
Ade

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi All
I’m looking for a bit of advice from anyone who knows about these things.
I grip down quite drastically on my driver so I’m looking to potentially put a 3 wood shaft onto a driver head. I don’t want to cut a shaft down as I read it can affect swing weight etc?
So can it be done?
Can I buy a 3 wood shaft with adapter “thingy” on the end and buy a driver head and then just screw it on?
Do all/most heads fit all/most shafts??
Has anybody done this?
Any replies/info much appreciated
Cheers
Ade

That will also affect swing weight, and fairway wood shafts are usually heavier than driver shafts altho they are shorter. As for will it fit, I believe it will for most big brands but am not 100% certain.

I've played with shorter driver shafts before by chopping down driver shafts and had some good results. I wouldn't worry about swing weight too much TBH, I would personally go down the shorter driver shaft rather than fairway wood shaft route.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That will also affect swing weight, and fairway wood shafts are usually heavier than driver shafts altho they are shorter. As for will it fit, I believe it will for most big brands but am not 100% certain.

I've played with shorter driver shafts before by chopping down driver shafts and had some good results. I wouldn't worry about swing weight too much TBH, I would personally go down the shorter driver shaft rather than fairway wood shaft route.

Oh ok, makes sense re shaft weight.
Think I may just chop a bit off my driver then and see how it is, it’s relatively cheap so not taking a huge gamble.
Are there short driver shafts on the market that are correct weight for driver?
It’s a bit of a minefield online!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did this with my driver.
It’s 3 wood length and straight as a die.
Length of the shaft has an effect on your club head speed so a loss of distance but not drastic, I found I lost about 15yds. This Is due to the arc of the head being smaller.
If you use a 3 wood shaft they are heavier than driver shafts usually.
This extra weight slows your swing down. But accuracy improves.
Not all heads and shaft adapters are compatible even if they are the same oem.
For instance the G400 ping shafts won’t fit the new G410 heads.