Driver Swing

mattdeeks

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Evening Gents,

I've been really struggling with my driver recently. More often than not its a fade/slice. Currently trying to hit a draw with varying degrees of success.

I know a few on here will be able to point me in the right direction. I've uploaded 2 swings from a recent trip to Old Thorns GC, both on the 1st. Have a look....

http://youtu.be/TyN8p3q6QZo

http://youtu.be/uUfYOlyoWOs

Thanks for looking

Matt

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 things I see mate is that you are still stuck on the back foot you right for should be up on your big toe this ensures a proper weight shift and helps with a follow through. Also you are overswinging club goes way past paraell at the top. Have a look at this vid for help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyRux9xuDtQ&feature=related

Compare this to your swing and I am sure you will see a few differences!! Good luck

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Definate over swing! Im no expert but had this problem myself. Tried 1/2 and 3/4 swings which really helped, still get the best results from this a more controlled swing.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looks to my untrained eye that you are letting your right leg straighten and this is meaning that you turn too far and the club goes way too far back, try and keep your right leg flexed and maybe even kink in your knee slighly so you feel you are turning agiast it, you will find you can swing back as far.

Maybe wrong but it might help...good luck.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
To me it looks like a definite weight shift problem and loss of spine angle through impact. Looks like you're leaning back at impact towards your heels. Right leg straightening on back swing too.

I'm by no means qualified but they're the areas I'd look at.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
you have 'floppy swing syndrome'

others have highlighted details, but to my mind these are symptoms

take control of your swing

start with the 'waggle' - this is supposed to be an indication of what to follow; in your case it's a waggle! where is the swing going to go from there???? keep the wrists and grip in place, turn the shoulders 15 degrees and return back to the ball.....simples

now when you swing start the same way, go back to a controlled position (which will not include the last 25 degrees of letting the wrists go (they have already opened the club face etc etc way too far etc) but will be to a point you can hold (but don't) and head back from consistently

now you have something you can control you can work on the weight shift, balance, impace position etc etc but there's no point in discussing these at the moment as they are all a product of this start.

it's been said the swing is determined by the initial moves, even the first 6" of club head movement, you need to take control (this shouldn't be confused with tight, stiff, etc just controlled positive movements.

www.stores.ebay.co.uk
Crikey, if all the swings faults you are accused of were illnesses you would be nearly dead!

You have an armsy swing with your coiling being released far too early. Concentrate on keeping your right shoulder back as you attack the ball; attack out to the 2 o'clock position (not coming in square to target); and visualise a discus technique with your right leg lashing through at impact and brushing the inside of your left leg as you follow through, eventually finishing the discus coil at the 11 o'clock position on a braced left leg. That will sort you out, and hopefully put 2-3 yards of draw on the ball if done correctly.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Matt

Apart from your overswing, it looks as if your weight is very central. At address make sure your head is behind the ball and as Sabderslongdrive has said pull your right shoulder back which will give you a neutral or inside swing path. On the back swing make sure your weight is on your right side transfering through to the left on the down swing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Believe me your MAIN problem is 'Early Extension' just look at how your butt line pulls in as you swing down. If you don't sort this one out you will not make good impact with the ball.

mattdeeks

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Gents, thanks for the replies so far, I can definitely see the problems you have mentioned. The over swing, staying on the right foot on the follow through, the floppy swing.

SocketRocket, having looked at the Early Extension video could most of my problems be caused by my hips turning to far back on the back swing and the extended right leg? The guys I play with always say I stand up during the forward swing, starting to see it now that it's on video.