Driver swing part 2

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
It's been a few weeks and to be honest a few minor tweaks after my last upload, has worked.

trying to get better posture (without a coach I'll add #Cost) better ball position and feet alignment (work in progress)

any better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5E2_ejeB0k&list=PL4bbry7nARN_pUqDPRLLL3UOK2_duz9J7

The left foot is staying IT WORKS FOR ME. until it goes wrong that is. If it works use it even if it looks MUGLY

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You are early extending with your full shots and when chipping. You need to learn how to stay down through the shot and stop your backside pulling in towards the ball.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
OK not sure on the driver but agreed on the chipping, having suffered with the yips. Chipping doesn't come natural and very much anxiety based.

Chipping video I'm working on getting the ball airborne over my normal punch chips which don't work for finesse shots.

Also using the peter finch weak left hand and raised shaft more putter swing.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
You have an alignment stick down yet your foot, knee and hip line is miles to the right.

Any reason?

I would also sort out the footwork (Left foot).

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You have an alignment stick down yet your foot, knee and hip line is miles to the right.

Any reason?

I would also sort out the footwork (Left foot).

I'm new so no position to comment on corrections / etc but just from viewing it looks like a step back and slightly forwards with the left foot. During the shot from the step back the knees and hip look pointed left to me.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what was happening to the shots ? & direction of actual travel compared with the definite target?

starting direction of a bunch 'appeared' to be a bunch rightfield out to what seems to be a tree & bush edge to the practice area starting rightfield & staying right or maybes moving further right - with the occasional issue maybes of shots goin left

set-up & swing looks a lot like the previous posted driver swing

- so the stuff I outlined with that video before is still some of the stuff I would work through if a student came to the lesson tee with similar swing characteristics & set-up

so the stuff around the grip hold - the alignments - the transition footwork & lateral slide - all play into being under plane swinging a bunch right through the ball which then leads to the need to stand-up into the ball with a somewhat vertical shaft as the arms work out aways from the body which then calls for very active hands to try to square a driver face that halfways in the downswing is a tad 'open'

puts a ton of pressure on the timing which when it holds up in play you can play to the good standard you've been able to reach so far
- but the same kinda shot variances you have during play that give some issues will continue to show up without looking to change up some of the current stuff goin down in the swing set-up & motion - those kinda problems that appear to come out of nowhere during the rest of a pretty decent round

keep to the same patterns and overall will continue to get the same results that have been happening

Last edited:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers all some great feedback, honestly my dispersion wasn't too bad. The range balls were pretty average and dirty due to chipping.

I'll add I draw everything on purpose, believe it not I've actually straightened up since my last video. Mainly on better alignment OK its not 100% but better than previous.

Very difficult to change the STEP back as my timing / strike has been superb. Intact I can't remember hitting it so solid.

I've weakened my grip since last video slightly.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Omg after yesterday I've decided any info that gets in my head is worse than a clear mind

I'm sticking with my bubba swing no more tekkers tweaks

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
understand where you are coming from

saw in the previous post that for some reason you'd decided to weaken your grip
from the previous video driver footage the grip hold was already probably 'too weak' anyways - it would more likely (as i mentioned at the time) need to be strengthened not weakened

the bigger issue to the shots that cause problems lies in the delivery of the clubhead path - the trackman numbers giving path somewheres in the region of 12º to 13º which to be honest is a ways too much of a path inside to out to give a consistent controlled flight curvature without having to aim out in the margins of scrub & rough - that path won't allow an aim within most fairways - but looking to change that's of course a personal choice - one bubba uses more in an extreme ways with aim & path but even with all his natural talent he's able to manage it a bunch less than he succeeds on tour - for lesser mortals it's a tough model to consider to play real good most of the time can be a bunch of fun for recreational golf but deal more difficult to manage in competition

the reason the path is so divergent (12º-13º) from a 0º ball target line is down to your 'step' + lateral transition move & partly down to the alignment set-up right that's been built in because of a reaction where & how the ball travels
{if it was a choice or an option - it would be a ton easier to work on this under supervision of a pga pro}

but all of this of course in the end is just down to personal choice & how content or otherwise you are with the overall game with both results & in enjoying playing every time the ball gets teed up

{with a driver the outer limits for a real good path/swing direction delivery would be around 6º either + or -
with irons looking more like a max of approx 3º or 4º + or - both with driver & irons also need the face angle control to work in a good relationship with path}

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I might be misunderstanding things here, and obviously I'm not an expert, but sounds similar to the issue I described in the question I posed yesterday.

I.e. hands in behind meaning inside to out swing path.

For me, caused by right shoulder going low and hips going towards the ball. Path fixed by getting right shoulder towards the ball rather than dropping down behind me on transition.

Right shoulder at the ball is not an over the top move, will still attack from the inside but on a shallower plane.

I'm sure Coach will explain why what I've said above is irrelevant in the case in hand, but couldn't resist sharing my experience in the hope it might be useful.

Monte Scheinblum explains this well in my opinion.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I took some video on the short game area and even tho my brain tells me its fairly neutral path, its far too much inside.

Left foot move is very difficult to lose as my striking has gone off the charts 👍 its pure. Alignment has been tweaked and slightly open over closed. Just need to get my plain more neutral

Monday practice I'll add the info 👏 difficult as I'm trying to play comps with tech in my mind.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it too far from the inside, or is it too steep from the inside? The latter being like a cricket shot with a high hands finish. If the latter, that's what I'm working on, and the fix for me is to get my right shoulder working toward the ball at transition. It has a miraculous result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p74VYzpEZ4A

I found this helpful in explaining the point and how to get everything synched up.

Feel free to disregard entirely of course, but given you seem to be talking about something that I'm working on too, thought it might be of interest.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Video in the end made some sense 👍

I did adapt on course today with a more outside feel to what I've been doing, hit 72% fairways with no massive draw. So the seed as be planted 😀

Stubborn be gone 👏

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
understand where you are coming from

saw in the previous post that for some reason you'd decided to weaken your grip
from the previous video driver footage the grip hold was already probably 'too weak' anyways - it would more likely (as i mentioned at the time) need to be strengthened not weakened

the bigger issue to the shots that cause problems lies in the delivery of the clubhead path - the trackman numbers giving path somewheres in the region of 12º to 13º which to be honest is a ways too much of a path inside to out to give a consistent controlled flight curvature without having to aim out in the margins of scrub & rough - that path won't allow an aim within most fairways - but looking to change that's of course a personal choice - one bubba uses more in an extreme ways with aim & path but even with all his natural talent he's able to manage it a bunch less than he succeeds on tour - for lesser mortals it's a tough model to consider to play real good most of the time can be a bunch of fun for recreational golf but deal more difficult to manage in competition

the reason the path is so divergent (12º-13º) from a 0º ball target line is down to your 'step' + lateral transition move & partly down to the alignment set-up right that's been built in because of a reaction where & how the ball travels
{if it was a choice or an option - it would be a ton easier to work on this under supervision of a pga pro}

but all of this of course in the end is just down to personal choice & how content or otherwise you are with the overall game with both results & in enjoying playing every time the ball gets teed up

{with a driver the outer limits for a real good path/swing direction delivery would be around 6º either + or -
with irons looking more like a max of approx 3º or 4º + or - both with driver & irons also need the face angle control to work in a good relationship with path}

Coach I take everything you say in 👍 it makes total sense, but being stubborn and on a hot few months striking it I'm uncertain to change. Then again last few rounds I've had off the planet drives twice a round.

Yesterday I focused on path and 100% straighter which I've already said.

PGA pro not at £50-$70 an hour 😵

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coach I take everything you say in  it makes total sense, but being stubborn and on a hot few months striking it I'm uncertain to change. Then again last few rounds I've had off the planet drives twice a round.

Yesterday I focused on path and 100% straighter which I've already said.

PGA pro not at £50-$70 an hour 

sure - get where you are coming from in both the situation & also how the $charge can make having some Pro help not so easy

hard to look at some new input stuff too if overall playing pretty well as can be hard to trust new stuff out in play

will though get the odd bunch of shots that fly off of the planet with a path that's at or near to double digits unfortunately

if you get through winter guessing over there the weather will shut down play some so maybes have more time on the practice tee
then you can get sometime to work through bringing the path more to neutral & to do that work would have to look on calming down the lateral shift at transition & the upper body tilt to rear - & overtime some working to lose 'the step' would for sure help calm down the transition & reign in the in to out path

whenever - or if - you do decide to give some changes a real go - & you feel the need for some input that maybes I can help you with just drop me a pm - no problem either ways whether you do or not

& good luck with it