Driver shafts

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Currently looking to upgrade my driver, but a bit unsure about shafts. I'm currently using a Pro Launch Grafalloy 65r in my Ping G5. I've recently had a spare 45 mins at AG and tried Nike VR pro with Project 'X' shaft, Pro advises me that 5.5 in graphite is Reg, i always thought that was firm/stiff, any input? Also been offered Matrix ozik shaft in a G20, i'm going to spend time tomorrow at the range so i'm just looking to arm myself with info so as not to be trying every driver in stock.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In irons, PX 5.5 is slightly stiffer than S300, but I don't know about the graphite shafts for woods.

The stiff PX in my 910 says 6.0 on it so 5.5 might be right for regular.
Also take note of the weight of the shaft as heavier plays slightly stiffer too. Mine is 73g. I assume the 65 in your 65r would mean 65g.

The obvious answer is to try a few and go with what produces the best results, regardless of what it says on the tin.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers for that R3, and of course your right about trying them and going with best results. Would love to own an R11 but TM shafts just don't do it for me, so it's all about actually hitting them and seeing results, looking forward to getting down to the range tomorrow and trying a few.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
PX 5.5 iron shafts are similar to TTDGS300 and KBS Tour S. The TTDGS300 is actually around 5.3 on the PX scale.

In woods, the issue are a bit different. The PX shaft in the 910 woods is a Tour issue shaft, and plays stronger than a similar number PX in the Nike or Callaway (which I have). That doesn't mean the shaft in the Nike is a bad one, just a slightly softer one. I like the PX in my Diablo very much. But a lot of people have bought the Titleist and struggled to get the best out of it.

The Matrix is a very different beast, and the XCon and Code shafts are nice mid launch mid spin shafts. Fitting is still important for them.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers for that Ethan, i was hoping you'd give your input, some knowledge mate, i take it you don't get out much:p

Well, I get out occasionally. In California right now, so not surfing the web too much. Played golf in short sleeves on Friday! The Diablo with the lesser PX performed very well for me despite not having played golf for 2 months.