Driver shaft weight for better trajectory and lower spin rate

craigjsmith

Visit site
Hi there,

Guys I am looking for some advise..

I have been told by guys at my club that i need a heavier shaft in my Titleist 910/D3.

I have project x 6.5 rifle shafts on my irons and a Project x 6.0 Stiff Tip shaft on my driver. From memory i think its around 63/65grm? ?

I hit the ball high off the tee and lose a lot of distance which is introducing fairway bunkers and other hazards that I am sure i can carry if i can get a lower spin rate and a better trajectory i believe i should gain some yards.. I currently play off 9 and am slowly coming down but my driver is just failing me a little here on distance.

I am also looking for advice on where to actually buy a shaft with adaptor for my driver..

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Many thanks
Craig

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome aboard!

I used to use PX6.5s in my irons and have always used heavier driver shafts to reduce spin for the driver.

When I had the 910D3 I had a motore F1 75g shaft which did a pretty good job, the Diamana whiteboard/ahina type shafts always reduced spin and ball flight too.

Since then Ive moved on to the SLDR with a Matrix black tie which is a truly excellent shaft.

As for where to buy a shaft, asking on here, have a look on ebay or maybe gamola golf probably the best options.

Ill have a look in a bit and see if i can see any

Edit: also you can always get the adaptor fitted to any shaft you like, usually costs about a tenner

Last edited:

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a little more difficult than just swapping the shaft. You could put the lowest spinning driver shaft on the market in your 910 and it might not make a difference. The head design will naturally effect the spin rate too.

Having a heavier shaft, should bring the flight down as would a stiffer tip.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Try an 83gm Diamana Whiteboard! Depending on your swing speed, an X Flex might be appropriate, but an SFlex should do the trick. If that doesn't reduce the spin and flight, then it's definitely a swing issue. A 73gm in S could well be sufficient btw!

With the advent of the F7M3 Black Tie, the Whiteboard should be able to be picked up rather cheaply. While I'm a Matrix fan,that particular series is not my style - more a 'hitter's' shaft than a 'swinger' and a bit boardy feeling. The Diamanas have a little better feel for me, even an X Flex Whiteboard (though it's too much shaft for me!).

Of course, you should really challenge the guys that stated 'you need a heavier shaft'! And best not to really trust the advice anyone who isn't properly qualified - including mine! The best way is to find a proper fitter and try a whole range of shafts to see what effect they actually have. It could be that the difference between the 'best' and the current is not actually much, and that a small schang - like teeing the ball higher - could have the desired effect! TM's assertion that 17 degrees and 1700rpm is best for all players is actually pretty much spot on and it's actually quite difficult to launch it at 17 degrees!