Driver shaft help please

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Right. After a lesson on flight scope last night it is clear that I'm am putting way too much spin on my driver. Around the 4000rpm mark. Obviously this is losing me distance and causing it to balloon on a lot in the wind. So I am thinking of trying out a new shaft( cheaper than changing the whole driver) I'm currently playing a Covert with a standard Kruo Kage extra stiff shaft. According to the stats my club head speed is around 109.

I've been reading good things about Aldila RIP alpha or Diamana Whiteboard,s. Would this be a good way to go or are there any other suggestions.

Also how easy it it to remove a different adaptor and fit a nike one if I get one off eBay.

Im out at work all day but will read any replies tonight.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Changing adaptors on graphite shafts is not the easiest thing to do care needs to be taken.
Easy enough fitting it's the removal where potential problems occur. Worth paying a bit more for a shaft without adaptor if you can't find a nike one IMO.
If you had a lesson what did the pro suggest?

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depending how bad the original fit is on your current shaft, it's not going to drop a massive amount of spin. I've heard it banded round that around 500RPM is about the most you can expect (... Again, depending how bad the original fit is)

If you're playing a senior flex, and need X-Stiff, that's a different kettle of fish :D

Hitting up on your driver is probably the best way to lower your spin rate.

Any idea what your current AoA is?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depending how bad the original fit is on your current shaft, it's not going to drop a massive amount of spin. I've heard it banded round that around 500RPM is about the most you can expect (... Again, depending how bad the original fit is)

If you're playing a senior flex, and need X-Stiff, that's a different kettle of fish :D

Hitting up on your driver is probably the best way to lower your spin rate.

Any idea what your current AoA is?

see my post regarding the Graffalloy Bi-Matrix shaft. Has made a huge difference on the launch monitor shaft, dropped the spin down a lot and also the launch angle and peak height.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I was hitting down on it by about 2 at the start and by the end I was at about up 2. That was the main thing i am going to be working on over the next few weeks. Even the best ones I hit on a better angle of attack and an inside path still produced a lot of spin.

My pro did say the shaft was probably not doing me any favours but we didn't have time to go into it. I just thought if I could find one on eBay I could give it a go and always sell it on if it didn't work out.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I was hitting down on it by about 2 at the start and by the end I was at about up 2. That was the main thing i am going to be working on over the next few weeks. Even the best ones I hit on a better angle of attack and an inside path still produced a lot of spin.

My pro did say the shaft was probably not doing me any favours but we didn't have time to go into it. I just thought if I could find one on eBay I could give it a go and always sell it on if it didn't work out.

I'm no shaft expert, but i suppose you know its not all the shaft that is the issue.

However i would try Graf pro launch red, low launch and low spin, the older heavy version can be got quite cheap, you might even get one with an adpt.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thing that makes most difference to spin rate being up a ways too much so it flying too high, is where the ball is struck on the face. So it's also about finding a shaft that makes it easier to return to impact as centered as possible whilst being able to be in control of providing the swing speed.

The smash factor is about the most efficient transfer of whatever clubhead speed the swing can produce under control, centered strike, through collision into ball speed.
The other thing that has a great say in spin rate so height is the 'spin loft', which is the AoA of the clubhead in relation to the dynamic loft delivered through impact, the narrower that angle of difference is between AoA & dynamic loft the less the spin loft so rate is, so potentially from a centered strike would then give you optimum flight so carry distance & rollout.
This spin loft difference in 'angles' affects the ball speed so distance.

Say a golfer has a swing at 100mph, centered strike, but delivered with a bigger (wider angle) difference between the AoA & DL through impact this will deliver a lower ball speed & higher spin rate so lesser distance, than a 100mph, centered strike delivered with a lesser difference (narrower angle) between the AoA & DL.

Correctly fitted driver shafts will make a difference to a centered strike delivered with the right DL at the optimum AoA, a shaft profile can affect it up to around 400-500 rpms, any bigger change will be brought about by both having the 'right' shaft for the swing profile plus a sound delivery technique.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am fully aware the problem is also in the swing, I would just like to know I have the best tools possible. Smash factor was anything between 1.35 and 1.45 but that was because I was trying to implement some of the changes he was trying me to do so the strike was suffering. He was happy with most of my number apart from the angle of attack. This was causing me to get pretty much no roll at all.

I generally hit a very high ball throughout the bag, he also mentioned that iron shafts were something to think about in the future as I get better.