Driver shaft advice.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having not tinkered for around 6 years, I’ve noticed shaft specs have moved on and the old favourites seem to have changed.

I used to really love my f1 motore 65g stiff but my swing speed was a little higher then, and would like something that plays and feels similar, but in a lighter spec, say 50g ish. In my old set up I had the 65g same spec shaft in a 3wood (cut correctly) and that was a beast of a club so I’m convinced a lighter shaft is the way for me.

I currently play the cobra f8 with the NV blue 60g stiff, it a nice shaft so wouldn’t even mind something that plays similar to this, just lighter.

Any ideas and feedback would be great, ideally looking to do the same with my 3w and drop from a 70g to 60g.

I’m also seeing counterbalance shafts such as the helium black which although has the same 60g weight, “ apparently plays lighter “

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was surprised when I got fitted for a light driver shaft after a bad shoulder injury. To be fair it's been great. Went for a Tensei CK Blue 50g shaft and it really works for me.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is that a 50 stiff or reg? When I was playing well my drive swing speed was 105-108 (from memory), I was fitted for the rip 55g stiff in an amp head and it played well but the flight was a little too high. I swapped it out for 65g f1 which was awesome but always felt I should have tried to find it in a 55g variation as I always felt I had to swing higher with the 65g version.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have an Oban Kiyoshi gold in stiff. I loved this shaft 6 years ago in my Nike Vapor. Last year I had the adaptor changed for a Callaway one, and put it in my Epic. Jeez, that is such a hard shaft to swing now. Can't get a tune out of it at all. Hopeless. It's a real shame, as I thought it would be ace, and it's an expensive shaft.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a UST MPS stiff shaft in my Rogue driver head. I have that set at 9 degrees and I have 2g heavier weight in the rear port. It won’t be as stiff as a motore F1 but it’s pretty resilient. Also use an Aldila NV green ultra light at 55 grams in my Ping G410 SFt head turned down to 9.4 degrees. That might not be as robust as you like but it’s behaviour is same as the std stiff NV green at 65g. I think they do a light weight blue as well.