driver setup/face query

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
first off I've been struggling with my driver off the tee for a while and this might be a little difficult to describe without pictures but i'll do my best.

If i setup with an iron my hands, club and ball are all in the middle of my stance. the clubface will also be square.

With the driver if i setup the ball in the middle of my stance (as with an iron) everything would be in the middle and be square. but we should setup for a driver with the ball opposite the inside of the left foot. if by keeping my hands in the middle of my body but moving the club behind the ball this will naturally close the face of the driver at address. is this correct? should the driver face appear closed?

I had previously been playing with my hands ahead of middle to keep the shaft of my driver perpendicular to the ground to keep the face square at address.

also surely by moving the ball forward in the stance, to catch the ball on the up swing, i am also hitting the ball when the swing is past its middle point (i.e. middle point being 12 oclock on a clock where the club/arc would be square to the target line) instead I#m hitting it at 11 oclock where the club is now closing as my hands rotate to a finish.

as you can see I just dont get the driver swing!!!

any advice, info, links or theories welcome

Brian_C

Club Champion
www.briancurranphotography.com
OK I think I know what you mean. I’ve had just this problem and have recently been advised how to fix it.

When standing at address I used to hold the shaft straight down, square to the body and the head would then be pointing in, to the left. But you need to hold the shaft so that the face of the driver is square to the ball and line of flight. The shaft shouldn't be square to the body or the ball.

The shaft is slightly angled to your right, pointing back. That way the face is square to the ball. Also, your hands need to be in front of the head.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
By no means an expert mate.

Make sure your right shoulder is positioned below the left (right handed golfer) This automatically allows the arms to move slightly forward adopting a more athletic driver stance. Check out Youtube for countless video tips on the golf swing and many other golf related footage and tuition
home1.jpg