Driver Question

njt1986

Visit site
Is it right that a lower spinning driver/shaft combination (plus lower loft) has a tendency to promote hooks?

Something one of my mates was saying while he was being fit for a driver last week was that the guy fitting him said that putting him in a low loft/low spin driver setting was promoting massive hooks during his fitting.

I found it fascinating, but is that a normal thing or is that maybe just based on his individual swing characteristics?

And on the opposite side, would that mean that if you were someone who predominantly hit a fade and your miss was a slice, then a higher lofted, higher spinning setup would further promote that to happen?

I’ve never been fit for any of my clubs, I’m a second hand special bloke, hope for the best, so I find all the technical side bloody fascinating

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There may be unintended consequences to the adjustment mechanisms of particular clubs - I say may, but for some it's well documented.
This may be what was being referenced.
As an absolute, in the hands of 'iron byron'; that combination and effect doesn't make sense to me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say that comment was meant for him and his swing rather than all-encompassing. Club fitting is horses for courses after all.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normally you need a bit of loft for a hook to allow for a closed face!
That’s what I was taught.
So 3 wood easier to draw than driver.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The mechanics of a hook doesn’t change. But I suspect, much like its easier to move a ball with less loft, it could assist in exaggerating a hook. (If that’s your bad shot)
It all depends on how the person reacts to that change in loft.
I can’t possibly see why a low spinning shaft would assist. There really isn’t much difference in shafts other than feel.

njt1986

Visit site
Cheers for the replies guys, I guess that equipment is all a bit hit and miss really - based on the individual having an effect on the outcome. I suppose if it was all done with a robot with a set swing speed, path and so on then, chances are, having a softer or stiffer shaft, higher or lower spinning shaft or more or less loft wouldn’t necessarily see and difference in shot shape?

Still, either way, bloody fascinating

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Without getting too technical the more loft you have the less the ball will hook or slice. Its very difficult to hook or slice a wedge due to its loft but it gets easier as you present less loft to the ball.

Hope this helps, I can explain the technicallities of why this happens if your interested.

stueyginger

Visit site
Had en Epic Sub-Zero in 9degrees with a heavier shaft and must admit my bad shot was always left

When I used this on the course I felt it was very fade biased and my favoured shot became a nice high fade with plenty of run strangely

I find the low spin / low launch combo hooking a little bizzare so think this will be down to the individuals swing mechanics