Driver loft differential query.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi fellas,
does anyone know the answer to this question.
If a driver with 13* of loft carries approx 210yds, how far would the ball carry if hit with the same swing & identical driver, but, with 10.5* of loft?
Answers on a postcard........

thanks guys,

Slime.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats a bit like asking how long is a piece of string! If you hit very high with the 13* so there is no run, you will hit the 10.5* farther. If your a low hitter with the 13*, you most likely will not hit the 10.5* as far as you will not get the carry. Then again you may hit the 13* straight because of the extra loft. Then you may slice/hook the 10.5* from lack of loft. So as I said at the begining how long is a piece of string (= twice the length from the middle) before someone else says it.:ears: ...

Bikky73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A piece of string is twice the length of 2 quarters of its length.

I think what he's meaning is.... barring the slice/hook of a straight face.... and probably on the basis that you're lifting the ball 10.5d rather than 13d above a roughly avg baseline, which might be say 30d loft due to the height of the T from the ground and how far forward in the stance, and how long the shaft/player's arm is....

so some expert take a guide of someone who's say 5ft 11, with std length driver (excluding the whip of the driver shaft) creating the arc and saying the loft angle from lowest point of the club to white castle T height(seems avg) giving baseline loft angle to add the 13d and 10d angles to club face speed to get the 210yards and back calc for the 10d....

I got no idea.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It also depends on the angle of attack. For me, I hit down on the ball a tad, so the 13 degree would have stupid amounts of back spin on it, and go no where. The 10.5 would be longer for me, in terms of carry and run out, as it would have less spin on it.

Still got no answer then.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A lot of people tend to avoid drivers which have more than 10.5 degrees loft, however in reality many people would benefit with more loft.

I play with an 11.5 degree Nike VR Pro with a stiff Voodoo shaft and I hit it very well, however I get quite a high trajectory with not much roll, however Hangover has offered me his 10.5 degree Nike VR with a regular shaft so if everything goes as planned, when the driver arrives I'll do some experimenting and let you know how things work out in terms of trajectory, distance, fogiveness and the difference in shafts and heads.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm testing two tomorrow, but only at the range.
I trying a TM Burner Superfast with 9.5* of loft & a TM Burner Superfast 2.0 HT with 13* of loft.
HT stands for 'Higher Trajectory', hence the 13* of loft.
Both are brand new clubs.
The former is around £120 & the HT is around £100. The HT is the newer (white) model, they have the same regular flex shafts.
It'll be interesting & I'll report back if anyone's interested.

Slime.