Driver help!!!!

samsee

Hacker
Visit site
First off my apologies if this has been answered else where on the forum.

I am new to the sport and am confused by the position of the club head when setting up.

when using the driver i know the ball has to be near enough inline with the front foot heel. But when i come to set up the club head should it be up close to the ball before i start the back swing or should it be in the middle of my stance (if this makes sense!). when using the irons and ball in the middle i place the head directly behind the ball with out touching it. is this the same for the driver?

many thanks

Samsee

AxelBenito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Place the club head directly behind the ball with the driver so it is almost touching. It may cause you to open your shoulders though so make an adjustment so that your shoulders are lined up with your feet to the target.

I have never seen anyone rest the club in the middle of the stance with the driver before.

samsee

Hacker
Visit site
Place the club head directly behind the ball with the driver so it is almost touching. It may cause you to open your shoulders though so make an adjustment so that your shoulders are lined up with your feet to the target.

I have never seen anyone rest the club in the middle of the stance with the driver before.

how do you make the adjustment? i have been lining it up with the back of the ball but not changing my feet position. would this cause a slice?

AxelBenito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you are in the 'ready to hit' position, ideally you need to have your feet, shoulders, knees lined up to the target. When you have a driver, because the ball is lined up to your left heel(ish) naturally your right shoulder will turn more towards the target, so you just maybe need to make a slight adjustment i.e line it up with your feet. This describes what your setup should be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLX1W1YTe4

samsee

Hacker
Visit site
thanks Axel.

Just watched the video. Im still confused about these shoulder alignment.
would you move your right foot (assuming right handed) back slightly to compensate?

AxelBenito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No. If you move your right foot back, technically you are then aiming right of target. It doesn't feel natural because your body is forcing your shoulder round due to the ball position, but you will get used to it. I have only been taught to line everything up to the target as per my lessons, but it does make sense. Each to their own.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the easiest ways to line up. So you don't open your shoulders. Have the ball off the front foot. Then take a square stance, with the club in the middle of your stance. Then keeping your arms, shoulders connected. Tilt your upper body to the side until the club head is behind the ball. This will tend to move your weight onto the inside of the back foot. You will now be in the right position and still be square to hit the ball.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'm not suggesting anyone copy this, but Moe Norman was probably the straightest hitter of a golf ball ever.

[video=youtube;tac1zuLuG5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tac1zuLuG5Y[/video]