Driver fitting update.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok so spent an hour with my coach on the launch monitor today and, in summary, we agreed that for now there is no significant gain in making a change of either loft or shaft. So that was cheap! There were some yardage gains with a 10.5 degree in the same soft regular shaft and ditto the same with the regular and no loss of accuracy or clubhead speed.

So many numbers to remember but the ones I do were a longest drive of 246 and average of 220. That won't win a willy wanging competition but hey I don't have one and was happy enough with those numbers :)

Other numbers, clubhead speed averaged 80mph (so soft regular should be about right), launch angle averaged 16 or 17 degrees (I think) and spin averaged 3000-3500rpm although that was by far the most variable stat.

I think that's as accurate as I can be (pretty tired now after smacking loads of drives and then 18 holes). Launch angle is a degree or two high and we worked for a while on trying to not let the clubhead get ahead of my hands which brought the launch angle and height down so will work on that on the range and see how it goes.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you hit 246 yards, I reckon you should be given an honorary willy!! :whoo:

Ha!! I have measured a few good ones on the course at 240-250 but that was in the summer (although not with a tailwind). I think this past few months I've developed a good solid draw for 90% of my drives so am reaping the extra distance from that shot shape. I've also been working on upper body strength so perhaps seeing some extra from that. I played with a pal at the weekend for the first time in a month or so and she commented I was hitting the ball harder than she recalled I used to. Confidence is a factor too as I reckon I'll middle it so accordingly will put 100% into it and just hope the timing is right.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So many numbers to remember but the ones I do were a longest drive of 246 and average of 220. That won't win a willy wanging competition but hey I don't have one and was happy enough with those numbers :)

With the 100yds head start you get it'd be easier to beat Tiger Woods than you! :D

Nice shooting for a berd! ;)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the 100yds head start you get it'd be easier to beat Tiger Woods than you! :D

Nice shooting for a berd! ;)

Thanks you (I think)!! Sad thing is we're off the mats now as it's our winter pairs match at the weekend so would be great to see them spit feathers off the whites - not that there's a big difference at our place with the exception of the 15th. Still, if I or my partner do outdrive them then it will be totally clear and no judging if the difference off the medals is to blame !!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ok so spent an hour with my coach on the launch monitor today and, in summary, we agreed that for now there is no significant gain in making a change of either loft or shaft. So that was cheap! There were some yardage gains with a 10.5 degree in the same soft regular shaft and ditto the same with the regular and no loss of accuracy or clubhead speed.

Other numbers, clubhead speed averaged 80mph (so soft regular should be about right), launch angle averaged 16 or 17 degrees (I think) and spin averaged 3000-3500rpm although that was by far the most variable stat.

I think that's as accurate as I can be (pretty tired now after smacking loads of drives and then 18 holes). Launch angle is a degree or two high and we worked for a while on trying to not let the clubhead get ahead of my hands which brought the launch angle and height down so will work on that on the range and see how it goes.

Its nice to hear that some one is, Not buying a new driver and are happy with what they've got for a change. well done:)

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
amanda i fear i may be joining you, got a 12 but thought 10.5 would help. come saturday i will know if its ping g20 or titleist 910 d2 or stick with my r7 cgb max 12. sssoooooooooooo want a new driver

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its nice to hear that some one is, Not buying a new driver and are happy with what they've got for a change. well done:)

I saw the exercise as a win, win as either a change would be compelled by the numbers or my trusty steed would remain so for a while longer! I took a 10.5 G20 on the course last week and the next day when I got my G15 out it was like an old friend or a pair of comfy slippers and a lot has to be said for confidence. It's mainly been what others say about my trajectory that got me to wondering so will ignore them from now on :blah:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
amanda i fear i may be joining you, got a 12 but thought 10.5 would help. come saturday i will know if its ping g20 or titleist 910 d2 or stick with my r7 cgb max 12. sssoooooooooooo want a new driver

If the numbers don't stack up then stick with what you have - for now at least. There's often a time to change whether that be new technology or a changed/improved swing but if that's not now then resist !!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
If thats the distance you are hitting(wish I could, I better start sitting down on the toilet). Plus you have faith in it why change. Just keep rubbing their faces in it. Would love to see their faces whan you out drive them.

P.S. Have you tried teeing the ball a tad lower?

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If thats the distance you are hitting(wish I could, I better start sitting down on the toilet). Plus you have faith in it why change. Just keep rubbing their faces in it. Would love to see their faces whan you out drive them.

P.S. Have you tried teeing the ball a tad lower?

I have tried teeing it lower but don't like how it sits and tend to catch it heavy. I'm content now I know the numbers are fine and not ballooning up as such. When I started playing golf I got used to outhitting the men and then I learnt how to swing and it went all pear-shaped for a while but this past 6 months it's come right again and in the meantime I learnt other aspects of the game as used to call myself a one-trick-pony!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As confidence is a huge part of this game you know standing over the ball you have the weapon to do the job and a swing that is working (banderito). What isn't to like about your game at the moment. Bet Mr A is loving you beating him