Driver difficulty

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
Guys, some help please....

Been playing a bit more regular since the turn of the year and really getting into it, shooting anyhting between 85-95 most rounds but have one major concern, an inability to use a driver off the tee. No great problem as I can hit a 5 iron 250ish and straight enough. Have started using my 3 Hybrid off the tee recently, goes well, nice & stright but with very little height off the tee. Only have a TM R5 8* driver but can't get on with it. Get no heaight at all and its usually running along the fairway 35yards from the tee. Tried a friend's nike 11.5* Driver but same thing.

Any ideas??

Mike

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You need a slightly different set up to hit a driver as opposed to a 5 iron (for example). The shorter the iron, the idea is to hit down on it, compress the ball and take a divot. This is achived by moving the ball back in the stance gradually (i.e 3 iron more forward, wedge more back) with hands forward at impact. I also like the feeling of my weight being forward to stay 'over' the ball at impact. Must take a divot though.
With a driver you want to hit the ball with the club head on the up, having already bottomed out (they say sweep it away).
Set up with your spine angle tilted slightly back. Make sure that the club head bottoms out in the middle of your stance and hits the ball (which is adjacent to your left instep (assuming you are R/H)) on the up. No divot and hands slightly back.

Good luck

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally I wouldn' say taking a divot with a 5 Iron is neccesary.

After all, with a 5 iron the ball is going to be forward in your stance as the iron will only have about 26* of loft so you'll need to be hitting it slightly on the up for a decent ball flight IMO.

If you hit your 5 iron 250 and straight, how far do you hit your 3 hybrid?

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd say anything upto 250 most times, only off a tee though. Remember fairways are very hard at the moment also, so I may get 20-30yards roll on. Hybrid 200-220 but I don't swing as hard. I'm more comfortable with an iron in hand from the tee but i'd love to be able to hit with a driver, its part of golf I feel!

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i would think your massively delofting your clubs, closing the club face.

your probably hitting your 5 iron with around 15 degree loft instead of the 28 degrees or whatever it is supposed to be.

and with your driver negative 5 degrees loft instead of 10 degrees.

you should have a game with my boss he can hit an 8 iron 200 yards though ive never been lucky enough to see him do it

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, the 5 iron goes 250, the 3 hybrid 200-220 and the driver 35yds?

So on the Par 5's, 5 iron from the tee, hybrid to the centre of the green and putt for eagle with the driver? easy game that!

:D :D :D :D

There are some ballons on here at times. If you can hit your 5i 250 why do you need a driver?

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can hit a 5 iron 250ish

troll.jpg

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you sure your 5 iron isn't secretly a 0.5 iron?

If you are physically able to hit a 5 iron 250, even with miles of roll, then I don't think you'll ever be able to hit a driver....

'cause something's wrong.....

:D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surely a typo me thinks and the OP means 150. Not sure even the big boys like Quiros etc can hit their 5 iron that far. Even Tim would struggle into the wind. Without seeing the swing or knowing what shaft etc you have its hard to say but if you can show me how you hit it 250 yards I'll start copying your technique