Driver ball position

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
The good thing about the black face on the Tm R11 is the ability to see exactly where you have just struck the ball. I am really going through a bad patch with the driver and I have noticed that I am catching the ball on the bottom third of the driver face. At times I am only showing half the ball on the bottom of the clubface, according to the mark it leaves. This means I must be catching the ball on the up. I normally play the ball just inside my big toe but the bottom of my arc must be inside this by a couple of inches. Should I try moving the ball back to around adjacent to my heel?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The good thing about the black face on the Tm R11 is the ability to see exactly where you have just struck the ball. I am really going through a bad patch with the driver and I have noticed that I am catching the ball on the bottom third of the driver face. At times I am only showing half the ball on the bottom of the clubface, according to the mark it leaves. This means I must be catching the ball on the up. I normally play the ball just inside my big toe but the bottom of my arc must be inside this by a couple of inches. Should I try moving the ball back to around adjacent to my heel?

I can't see how your description of the ball mark relates to your conclusion about where in the arc you are hitting it.

However, level or just inside the heel is a pretty standard position for the Driver and a 'standard' tee height is such that the equator of the ball is level with the top of the face if the head is placed behind the ball. This is because the Sweet-spot of modern Drivers is a little above the centre of the face. I don't believe the R11 is any different, even with the adjustment gadgets on tne sole. The adjustment of the R11 can move the Cof G, therefore Sweet-spot slightly, but it's only slightly.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try moving the ball just inside your front heel, stand with your feet together and the ball in the centre of your stance then move the right foot back. Focus on striking the bottom of the ball as you swing down.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I was on the range today trying all kind of new ball positions and tee heights as sometimes I felt I wasn't getting through to finish my swing and sometimes could sky my drive. After 60 balls I was pleased with what I have decided to work with. Its just a case of getting on the range and trying different variations to suit your swing. Text book doesn't work for everyone.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit a drive at least 100ft in the air last weekend, it was like a wedge shot, how the hell a 10.5 degree driver can generate that height is against the laws of physics :p

mess around with position and tee height and see what works for you

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hit a drive at least 100ft in the air last weekend, it was like a wedge shot, how the hell a 10.5 degree driver can generate that height is against the laws of physics :p

that will be the driving wedge then!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It's normally where you get your head infront of the ball in the downswing, this makes you hit down steeply under the ball which creates the high flyer. Always keep your left ear behind the ball with the driver.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's normally where you get your head infront of the ball in the downswing, this makes you hit down steeply under the ball which creates the high flyer. Always keep your left ear behind the ball with the driver.

+1 for head position it helps with hitting the ball on the up which you want from a driver.

Also with the ball positioned level with the left heel ensure you have a spinal tilt away from the ball so that your spine angle matches up with your head position. Ensure you keep the head position and tilt angle throughout the swing. If your tee peg either stays in the ground, flies behind or side wards you've done it right.

Your tee peg flying forward is a no no, this means you've hit down on the ball rather than sweep the ball off the Teton the up.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was told by my coach to stand feet together, ball in the middle of my feet. Then take my right foot back as far as I like. Tis makes sure the ball is on my left heel.