Driver Advice

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Looking for some driver advice. I have a Taylormade R7, regular shaft. I hit this generally pretty straight and a good distance. I also have a Wilson F5 but with a stiff shaft which a tended to fade a lot. They are both the same weight overall. I was going to sell the Wilson but just looking for advice as to why I may be fading the Wilson?

Cheers

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My advice would be to not fight and try to like a driver, if it does not suit you just get shut and move on, I have learnt this the hard way! When a club works for you you soon know and its not always the clubs you want to like:)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My advice would be to not fight and try to like a driver, if it does not suit you just get shut and move on, I have learnt this the hard way! When a club works for you you soon know and its not always the clubs you want to like:)

Sound advice. If you don't get on with a driver it's going to keep niggling away and only takes a couple of poor drives early in a round to sap all confidence with it

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I can't say I know but I've heard it to. I remember having a problem with some old fairways a while back where I was pull hooking them and the local guy suggested cutting an inch off each is it would slightly stiffen the shaft. After that, problem solved and I had those woods for years.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking for some driver advice. I have a Taylormade R7, regular shaft. I hit this generally pretty straight and a good distance. I also have a Wilson F5 but with a stiff shaft which a tended to fade a lot. They are both the same weight overall. I was going to sell the Wilson but just looking for advice as to why I may be fading the Wilson?

Cheers

just to nail the flight & amount of curvature of the 'fade'

is the overall trajectory & flight height a tad lower with the 'stiff shaft' ?
- if it is generally lower then you won't really be getting optimum carry for the amount of effort exerted

with your term 'fade' what was the start direction of the ball in relation to the target ? started right/straight/started left ?

& with the 'fade' curvature - what is a lot - 20/25 feet ?

{as you have a TM reg shaft & a Wilson stiff shaft there's no real ways to tell exactly where these shafts really are on of the flex spectrum in relation to each other as there's no official flex spec register across the all of the oem's}

if it was a controllable usable fade that got reasonable distance then that could be a pretty good thing as you would have a usable repeatable shot taking the left side of any tee-box shot out of play

but it's mostly down to 'feel' if you can actually 'feel' to then know where the clubhead is during the swing - if it feels like a board or poker then that's not goin to be any good - so probably above all would go over the 'feel'

it's true to a certain extent that if a shaft is to stiff then you won't feel the head because the swing speed & transition load on the shaft is not great enough to put enough 'bend/load' into the shaft in transition/downswing - don't load the shaft to it's optimum then the shaft won't unload or release as it should so the face would tend to look rightfield(open) of square as it doesn't lead deflect* properly coming into impact

(*lead deflection {along with toe droop} is coming into impact a shaft always bends towards target - not aways from not lag as most folks tend to think that's what happens

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, can't help wondering, if you have two drivers and one of them works, why are you worried about the other one? Just get rid.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Genuinely interested as to whether you or anyone else can cite the source of this- would love to see proof of the assertion.

If he already has a slightly across the line swing then the stiffer/heavier the shaft the more he will struggle to square it up and hence put more cut spin on the ball making the fade/slice worse. This is a general rule of thumb but won't apply to everyone.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
It could be that's its your natural swing perhaps?
because the R7 is adjustable - so how have you got the weights set up in the R7 and what weight are they?

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers for the advice everyone. The R7 is set so it has a neutral setting. Think I’ll take them both to the range and see if it’s the one to sell the Wilson