Drill to keep left arm straight..

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

I note in my practice that I have taken to bending my left arm. I can feel when I dont bend it that I get my hands higher and as a result a better strike. I would guess that I bend is because of some kind of flexibility issue but would love to know if there is any sort of drill or prectice I can use to make it more natural to keep is straight.

Thinking about it it could also be overswing.

Any thoughts input welcome.

Thanks

Alex

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Film yourself hitting balls with the feeling of only using a half backswing. That will help you to keep the arm straight and you may find out your half backswing is actually a full backswing

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Make sure you feel your left shoulder,if your right handed,end up under your chin.
You cant get your shoulder under your chin if you have a bent left arm,unless your moving your
head to the left.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Twist up a towel and grab it with both hands about shoulder width apart, and feel as though you are trying to pull you arms apart once you have gripped the towel. Then treat as if setting up to a shot and swing normally, keeping your attention on stretching the towel (pulling the hands in opposite directions). Make multiple swings like this then hit some shots, best working up from half shots initially. Keep repeating the towel drill either when at golf or away from it

A

Alex1975

Thanks chaps,

I will try all of the above and do now recall the towel drill.

Poker, I recon I can get my shoulder under my chin and still bend my arm :eek:... but point taken from both you and bob.

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It made me realise that when i shortened my swing that i wouldn't bend my left arm and now i know if i keep the swing short i strike it better. Give it a try yourself at the end of the day nothing to lose.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Alex, i have had this and was obsessed with keeping it straight

In fact i found it was my right arm restricting my backswing therefore my left would bend and i would overswing, the plane was very flat and behind me, horrible

Look at your swing plane and right arm / left arm triangle at the top and as bob suggested 3/4 swings

When you have mastered that then try downswings without using your arm and only the lower body !

A

Alex1975

Alex, i have had this and was obsessed with keeping it straight

In fact i found it was my right arm restricting my backswing therefore my left would bend and i would overswing, the plane was very flat and behind me, horrible

Look at your swing plane and right arm / left arm triangle at the top and as bob suggested 3/4 swings

When you have mastered that then try downswings without using your arm and only the lower body !

Thanks mate, I was playing in a golf day last week and on the 17th a guy I was playing with said how flat my swing was. I was gutted as I had been working on it and my brother in law said that when we practice together I am not flat. I guess its the old, one swing for practice and one that come out in my game. So ye, this post is an extension of that comment and the practice that has followed it. I am really looking for things like this becomeing natural so I shall for sure be working on all of the above and see what works best for me.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the same bent left arm through impact, but that is down to years of ingrained bad habits, for which I'm finding really hard to reprogram out of my head, but I am getting there slowly, through lessons and a lot of repetition at the range.

My bendy, chciken wing, left arm stems from the inability to roll my arms on the down swing to square the club face up, the result being my right hand comes underneath, which allows me to perform the cricket cover drive style shot.

So I'm working really hard getting that arm roll, for which the knock on effect will be a nice straight left arm.