Drain flys

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What Causes Drain Flies?
Drain flies thrive in stagnant and standing water. Common sources include slow or clogged drains, rarely used and unused toilets, refrigerator drain pans, and standing water created by leaking pipes.

Hopefully I think enough bleach goes down the plug holes to avoid them

I have to be careful with the upstairs bathroom as it is hardly ever used.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We now think that washing machine drain is the culprit.
Suggestions include running a cycle with bleach in the soap dispenser.

Seems a bit extreme 😱

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think if you just run a cycle on the hottest setting (90*C) say for something like old towels it should kill everything.
We have this setting on our machine. It states not to put anything in, neither powder nor towels or similar. Just run it empty at 90⁰c. We do it every few months.

Clears out the gunk residue, stops a blockage.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think if you just run a cycle on the hottest setting (90*C) say for something like old towels it should kill everything.
Towels of any age can be washed at 90*c. It keeps the black algae away most machines have because of only washing at low temps, disolves most of the detergent debris and helps to keep the waste plumbing clear as well.

We have this setting on our machine. It states not to put anything in, neither powder nor towels or similar. Just run it empty at 90⁰c. We do it every few months.

Clears out the gunk residue, stops a blockage.
That sounds like a "drum clean " program.
I dont find they run as long as a cottons 90, so I always use a cottons 90 when I'm setting a machine to do a descale/cleaning run.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@Bunkermagnet that's exactly what it's called in our manual 👍. I think it runs for 75 mins or so
Sounds about right. Normally, I think they are 75*c, so whilst it helps break down and clear the lower components and the drum, it doesnt get steam up around the dispenser and top hoses.
Thats why I use cottons 90, the time taken and steam created helps to clear the machine a little more substantially.:)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have an open drain pipe with the washing machine hose just pushed in to it just take the hose out pour a kettle full of recently boiled water down the pipe.
Try similar with the bathroom sink and any other plug hole in there.

This assumes it easy to get at.

To save a lot of water having to be brought up to 90 degrees just pour a couple or so kettles of hot water in the m/c drum and hit the spin cycle.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds about right. Normally, I think they are 75*c, so whilst it helps break down and clear the lower components and the drum, it doesnt get steam up around the dispenser and top hoses.
Thats why I use cottons 90, the time taken and steam created helps to clear the machine a little more substantially.:)

This seems to have done the job as there were none of the creatures visible this morning.

What do you advise/ recommend time wise to repeat this type of extensive clean

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This seems to have done the job as there were none of the creatures visible this morning.

What do you advise/ recommend time wise to repeat this type of extensive clean
I would suggest a reasonably regular boil wash (cottons 90) would be sufficient. Perhaps once a month.