Don't know what to do

TeeItHigh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
:confused: Hi Guys, i"m new to the forum and looking for advice,i've recently taken up the game (july 2011) and am happy to say have improved steadily, so much so that i'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new set of irons, i currently have a set of tailor-made 320t's with graphite shafts and would like to say that i really like them, however the pro and friends are telling me i should buy something more unto date and preferably with a steel shaft!

Well i've been to 2 demo days now one for ping and the other for callaway the ping g20 i got on ok with but felt big and clumpy, the callways i was told would be best for me were the razor black which were ok but again seemed big and navy and didn't seem to shape shots very well so i told the pro and ha gave me a forged blade to try, now this felt great but i was told this really would only be used by low handicappers, so i'm looking for any info or ideas on irons cos i'm a bit lost!!

Thanks in advance:clap:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Basically, you have a choice between the big chunky thick top edge, the blade or something in between.
There's lots to consider when giving advice like your swing speed, your skill level, your budget and your ambition to name but a few.
So more info would help.
You will get lots of advice from the Mizuno users and to be fair, they do make a large range of clubs to suit most abilities.
Have a look at the middle range clubs like the Ping i 20s or maybe the Mizuno MP 53

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There is, in fact, an argument that beginners actually benefit by using blades - as ball striking is rather key to getting proper distance with them!

There are a number of 'forgiving, player's ' irons that look slimmer than G20 styles yet still provide plenty of forgiveness - unlike pure blades that are decidedly unforgiving. There are also combo sets that are blades from 7 or 8 to PW but more forgiving for the longr clubs.

It does seem that you are somewhat put off by the clunky clubs, but I'd suggest that workability shouldn't be a major concern - straight should be the priority.

The best way to sort things out is either to get fitted - and fitting does work for newcomers to the game - or to try a range and determine for yourself what sort of club you feel most comfortable with. Always best to leave your ego in the changing room though. Much better to be able to shoot below 80 with a set of 'shovels' than hit 1 'proper' shot in 95 with a set of 'butter-knives'

Always happy to recommend Mizzy MX25/MX23 as 2ns hand gems. Cobra S2s can be had cheaply currently and are plenty forgiving good looking.

I'm heading back to 10 yo Miura Forged TM Cavity backs that are a great balance - for me - between forgiveness and feel!

Good Luck searching!

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you can get over the looks, Ping irons such as the I15 might be worth a look. I think the are a little easier on the eye that the G15 or 20 range. I find them very straight and forgiving. Infact, so straight that its difficult to actually shape shots.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum :)

Secondly, if you like the clubs and get on reasonably well, why change? Maybe people are telling you to get something more upto date but unless youre absolutely sure you'll see a definite improvement from new clubs then don't... save the money for lessons :)

However if youre really set on new clubs, but dont like something as chunky as Ping G20's, then maybe look at something like the Callaway Razr X, Titleist AP1's, Taylormade R11's, Ping i15's/i20's or Wilson Staff Ci9/11's... all of these are much more pleasing on the eye than "shovels" and will offer better workability, but will still give you some help if you don't quite catch it, that said, theyre not gonna get it airborne if you can barely make contact, so your ball striking does have to be fairly good, if youre sure you want new clubs then speak to your pro and get him to look at your swing and recommend you some, oh and make sure you try before you buy :)