Does your club continue to run handicap qualifiers throughout the winter?

Does your club continue to run handicap qualifiers throughout winter?

• Yes

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 33 55.0%

• Total voters

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Just a quick poll and question to try and gauge how many of your clubs continue to play handicap qualifying comps throughout the winter as we're running a magazine debate on it in the next issue.

I'm guessing most suspend qualifers for a period, but it would be interesting to know what percentage, and perhaps even whether any of your clubs continue to run qualifiers even if CONGU recommendations ref course length, temporary greens etc aren't being adhered to.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They try and keep ours running all winter, however, most years early in the year the par 3s and one of the par 4s go to a winter tee to protect the main tee and this shortens the course more than the stipulated amount hence they become non qualifying

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Off the Yellow tees though so SSS goes to 69 on Par 71.

We can get in about 8 a month or so.

Makes for some interesting H/C movements.

I know I shouldn't play in most of them but I just can't help myself, up 0.7 so far!!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yes, but on a much shorter course. SSS drops from 73 to 70. Being a links course it doesn't suffer anything like parkland courses.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We go to mats, but we have a measured course from the mats. Different card, so SI's change, which makes some holes interesting. Slightly shorter, but still over 6000 yards. Only stablefords for some reason, and if it's winter greens then it becomes a none qualifier.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I voted "Yes" but in reality it is decided on the day. We would like to have the weekend stablefords as qualifiers but if we are unable to adhere to CONGU, we change the comp to non qualifier.

So need a thrid answer, "some are qualifiers, some are not" :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We do not have qualifying comps but I have no idea why not. We never use temp greens and there are maybe 3 mats in place of tee boxes. These are in fixed positions though so cannot see why we do not have a measured course from them.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No qualifiers for us from the last medal in October through to early April.

As far as I can see the CONGU conditions for a qualifier are still met (yellow tees, measured course with SSS, never temp greens) so I have no idea why we don't have them, unless PnP makes a comp non-qualifying?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
No qualifiers for us from the last medal in October through to early April.

As far as I can see the CONGU conditions for a qualifier are still met (yellow tees, measured course with SSS, never temp greens) so I have no idea why we don't have them, unless PnP makes a comp non-qualifying?
Guys How do all ye'r members manage to get 18 holes in with the short days ? we play 13 hole comps (time restraint not course fault) as a result we dont have qualifiers from clock change at end of oct ..

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Guys How do all ye'r members manage to get 18 holes in with the short days ? we play 13 hole comps (time restraint not course fault) as a result we dont have qualifiers from clock change at end of oct ..

Blimey - didn't think you were that slow at Forest of Arden, Bill!

Surely still plenty of time - a good 6 or 7 hours - for a good number of people to get 18 holes in?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer was egging me on Jezz , rushing me he was :D our booking on line opens at 10am this friday for the following weekends comps , by 11.30 there wont be many times left on it , if its an 18 hole comp the last times on the sheet would be much earlier so as everyone can finish in daylight .. at present our 1st time is 8am the last time on the sheet is 2.12.. (they prob wont even finish 13 nowadays) if we were playing 18 the last time would probably be 12 ish .. this weeks is full up on til 1.15 , this way everyone gets to play in the comp .