Does the course favour weekend golfers.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Courses are generally quieter on weekdays, the greens staff work mostly Monday to Friday, so of course there wont normally be staff working on the course at weekend, its a bit obvious really.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
talking to our pro about this a while back, and he admitted they would make more effort during bad weather to have the main greens on for a weekend. If it's a wet weekday they are much more likely to put the temps on than they would on a weekend.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Work has to be done at sometime, and so why not during the week when most people are just like the greenkeepers...working. Whilst I have sympathy with those 5 day members who feel hard done by, I would say how much more hard done by..in any, are they over the 2 day members who pay the full subs but only able to play at the weekend.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We wouldn't have a golf course without the work of the greenkeepers. When necessary, I always wait patiently for them to finish or signal me to play. Bad form indeed to blame them for poor play.

:thup:

Also, if the greens were cut mega short every day through the height of summer there’s a possibility you’d stress them too much and lose them. Green keepers stake their reputation, and job, on producing the best greens they can as often as possible.

Do you really think they’d risk their job by deliberately doing the worst they can?

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not a bad response, only took two days, next time I will write a bit slower for you 

That would be great,:thup: then you wouldn't be making the same stupid spelling mistakes over and over again, that an 8 year old kid in remedial class wouldn't make.:whistle:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
That would be great,:thup: then you wouldn't be making the same stupid spelling mistakes over and over again, that an 8 year old kid in remedial class wouldn't make.:whistle:

Strange, ave read three other posts ( not mine ) with mistakes in them this morning, that class is gonna be full very soon.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless your club is entirely full of retirees, surely it should​ favour the weekend golfers since that would be the vast majority?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unless your club is entirely full of retirees, surely it should​ favour the weekend golfers since that would be the vast majority?

We have quite a few associate members like taxi drivers , shift and weekend workers, plus retirees who pay good money [about £400 ] to play Monday to Friday. Why take their money then treat them like 2nd class citizens. These guys use the bar and other facilities, more often than the majority of Weekend carpark golfers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

We have quite a few associate members like taxi drivers , shift and weekend workers, plus retirees who pay good money [about £400 ] to play Monday to Friday. Why take their money then treat them like 2nd class citizens. These guys use the bar and other facilities, more often than the majority of Weekend carpark golfers.

When should the greenkeepers do their work then ?

A lot of clubs charge a cheaper rate for players that play during the week - yet they can play more than player that pays a higher rate who can only play twice a week.

I think most member that play during the week do fine

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They have to do the work sometime! Obviously they're going to pack the day when it's least busy. That's more likely to be a week day at most if not all courses. Maybe they should do the work at 11pm by floodlight?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
They have to do the work sometime! Obviously they're going to pack the day when it's least busy. That's more likely to be a week day at most if not all courses. Maybe they should do the work at 11pm by floodlight?

Green keeping staff working on the course isn't the problem.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When should the greenkeepers do their work then ?

A lot of clubs charge a cheaper rate for players that play during the week - yet they can play more than player that pays a higher rate who can only play twice a week.

I think most member that play during the week do fine

:confused: 7 day members can play as much as they like 7 days , pro rata price for 5 day members.
The problem isn't green staff working on the course . It's that they cancel comps or put on temp greens or even close the course during the week willy-nilly , but bet your boots hail rain or shine it'll be playable on the Saturday.
Our last Friday qualifier medal of the season was cancelled because it was decided that 3 temp greens were necessary , BTW it had been dry and sunny since the Tuesday.
Halleluiah Low and behold on the Saturday, all 18 greens were in play and last qualifier comp was still on , even though it had rained heavily all through the Friday night.
BTW I can play anytime I wish 7 days [ usually badly ].:D
Oh BTW did I tell you about my hole in one :whoo:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Green keeping staff working on the course isn't the problem.

I agree. It's the intolerance of some on the course that won't let them spend a few minutes raking greenside bunkers or mow a green. They are there working to provide the course as well presented and playing as good as possible and they should be given the time and space if working once golfers are out playing to do their work. Many are out well before first light working on things and getting ready for their working day ahead

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The green keepers have to do their jobs.
Historically five day week was mon/fri but this has changed for lots of people jobs etc.
Overtime weekend work cost a premium in the past ( not sure if this is the case now)!
The lads do a great job at my course and one works sat am to set course for comp.
Should only complain if someone is not doing their job not when they are.
Most weekday work is preparation for weekend comp that's ok by me.

D

Deleted member 15344

:confused: 7 day members can play as much as they like 7 days , pro rata price for 5 day members.
The problem isn't green staff working on the course . It's that they cancel comps or put on temp greens or even close the course during the week willy-nilly , but bet your boots hail rain or shine it'll be playable on the Saturday.
Our last Friday qualifier medal of the season was cancelled because it was decided that 3 temp greens were necessary , BTW it had been dry and sunny since the Tuesday.
Halleluiah Low and behold on the Saturday, all 18 greens were in play and last qualifier comp was still on , even though it had rained heavily all through the Friday night.
BTW I can play anytime I wish 7 days [ usually badly ].:D
Oh BTW did I tell you about my hole in one :whoo:
As been said i suspect 60-70% of the golfers in most clubs play at weekends so they will Look to ensure the course is open for as many as possible

And congrats on the Hole in One :D :whoo: