Does the course favour weekend golfers.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Posted the other day about my little episode with a greenkeeper. One of the replies was about greenkeepers working during competitions. I kinds got me thinking. I played the other weekend in our stableford final at the weekend and it was gorgeous. The course and fairways, bunkers were all immaculate. Quiet. Not a greenkeeper in sight. Totally the opposite to when i play midweek. Si is the course set up for weekenders and dies it favour them playing in better coditions re the course.
Thiughts please

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it's more about the greenkeeper generally only working a 5 day week at ours, although a couple do come in early Sunday if there's a comp on and the greens need swishing or a hole needs moving etc

Also weekends tend to be much busier so they'd have to stop work while continuous groups of golfers come through at weekends which happens more than weekdays. My place can be pretty quiet weekday afternoons especially so I guess they get mire work done.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Certainly at our course.

We only cut new holes twice a week. Friday (may be in the afternoon) and Tuesday mornings.

Our Seniors comps are on a Monday morning and all the late out players have had, effectively, 3 days of golf, with a lot of players, standing all around the hole. It is possible to visually see the crowning after a wet weekend.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It does at ours, which I suppose is fair enough because the majority of members play at the weekend. The greens are cut either on a Friday, or a Saturday morning in the summer but, to be fair, the course is pretty good every day. It's an easy course to maintain & the greens need to be cut before the greenkeepers are off for two days. Almost inevitable the the course is in good nick at the weekend.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
other way around for us i'm afraid. During the week greens are cut and ironed every day and all the bunkers raked. New pin positions cut twice during the week as well.

Lucky if the greens are cut if there is a comp one as the GK only work 5 days (weekdays) and a couple of kids are paid to rake the bunkers on a Sat.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
You still trying to blame the greenkeepers for playing gash? Deal with it and move on.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Not blaming anyone for anything. If your struggling with an educated reponse to the question thats ok

D

Deleted member 15344

Most courses are at their busiest on a weekend - it’s prob wall to wall with golfers so the greenkeepers would have little chance to get any work done so they do all their work during the week and then most would have someone give the greens a cut or iron and sort the tee positinfs etc

Tashyboy

Visit site
Certainly agree with the course being rammed Phil. Thats summat we dont see during the week. Especially on the back nine. What was surprising was that the 19th was empty 😳

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During the summer our green keepers start at first light and the first thing they do is cut the greens, every day. They are usually ironed on a Friday morning. If there is a comp on at weekends the greens will be cut then too. There will be a duty green keeper to do this at the weekend. It is usually the same condition all week during the summer.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
i would guess the greenkeepers work all day during the week and maybe just a couple of hours at the weekend.

at some places the gk just rake the bunkers and cut/swish the greens at weekends, fairways and rough cutting take considerably longer, so tend to be done during the week.

another thing to think about is, 7 day members pay a premium rate, so being held up by gk on the weekend would cause an issue i'm sure

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
ATM my club tends to favour the 7 day [ full ] members, over the mid week guys that pay approx 30% less.
The priority day is the Saturday, rain hail or shine most weeks the course be declared/made FULLY OPEN and the Saturday competition will go ahead.
Where as on Wednesdays Thursdays or Fridays with bright sunshine , shirt sleeve weather, the comp have been cancelled and temp greens put in play, to save the course for the Saturday.
If I was a mid week member I would not be too happy. :blah::ears:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ATM my club tends to favour the 7 day [ full ] members, over the mid week guys that pay approx 30% less.
The priority day is the Saturday, rain hail or shine most weeks the course be declared/made FULLY OPEN and the Saturday competition will go ahead.
Where as on Wednesdays Thursdays or Fridays with bright sunshine , shirt sleeve weather, the comp have been cancelled and temp greens put in play, to save the course for the Saturday.
If I was a mid week member I would not be too happy. :blah::ears:

That's shocking

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a rule that, on a Monday, Greenkeepers have absolute priority so they can get any major work done without interruption. If they're working on a hole you just have to skip it. Doesn't happen often.
Monday's are normally very quiet as there is no catering in operation - only thing you can get is drinks/snacks from the Pro shop or a coffee from the machine. Good day for playing solo...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Monday is probably the busiest day of the week at our course, at least every other Monday.

Seniors competition with slots allocated to 11.45 am, fully booked with a reserve list, sometimes followed by a ladies interclub match if not most slots are booked by members or visitors to around 2 pm during winter and long after in the summer.

Greenstaff are given priority, by club rule, until 9.00 every Morning.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any favouritism is incidental and a function of greenkeeper cycles -

That these tend to be weekly, will mean that there are specific days, and times, that may appear advantageous (not all like the same things though - fairway cut heights being the obvious one).

We also set new holes on a Tue and Friday; and on balance the course is at its best Friday morning because most grass cutting will also have been completed then ahead of the weekend.

As said, it's a working week thing not any deliberate policy.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
We wouldn't have a golf course without the work of the greenkeepers. When necessary, I always wait patiently for them to finish or signal me to play. Bad form indeed to blame them for poor play.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely the course should be set up for the members to enjoy on the weekend, as that’s when most of them will be using it.