Does anyone use Arccos?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Your eyes can work that bit out tho, especially over 150 yards you can see you roughly rolled X amount of yards

Also can look at where your pitch mark is on the green and work it out and minus from the distance
You're assuming you can see the ball land.
You're assuming you hit the green all the time
What about longer clubs? On my course, on some holes, we can get 70+ yards of roll in the summer, less than 10 in the winter.
Total distance can be useful but the variability of the ground conditions that allow roll out skews the numbers.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're assuming you can see the ball land.
You're assuming you hit the green all the time
What about longer clubs? On my course, on some holes, we can get 70+ yards of roll in the summer, less than 10 in the winter.
Total distance can be useful but the variability of the ground conditions that allow roll out skews the numbers.

The example given was 150 yards .. which you should be able to see land and say you have something to go over your going to see if it makes or not

Longer clubs you can get average

My Garmin ct10 when I pull a club gives me average distance with that club. Yes it's total distance but it's still more useful than not knowing

Plus on average the gapping works out . Even with the carry included so you get a picture of your bag .

RichA

Visit site
You have missed the point

How do you know which club goes 150? Use a tracker to check

Think your thinking of GPS.
My point is that for a less good golfer, like me, 150 yards could be anything from 8i to 5i, depending on weather, mood, tide schedules, etc. I'm better off just going with my feelings.
For better golfers who know their club yardage to within 5 yards, I can see the benefit.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My point is that for a less good golfer, like me, 150 yards could be anything from 8i to 5i, depending on weather, mood, tide schedules, etc. I'm better off just going with my feelings.
For better golfers who know their club yardage to within 5 yards, I can see the benefit.

Yet you need to know that a club that can get there

I remember showing up to a round and my GPS wasn't charged .. didn't know how long to the green etc

The 4 handicapper gave the patronising doesn't get gps if you can't hit your clubs consistently to that yardage ... Yes but if the green is 130 yards away I want to know to pull a 8 iron or above and not try and get there with a wedge

RichA

Visit site
I understand and I absolutely support everyone's freedom to use Arccos, apps, GPS or laser sights.
For me, personally, I'm happy to judge distance to middle of green based on the scorecard for par 3s and estimating distance to 150 markers elsewhere.
Experience tells me that with a perfect lie, perfect weather and a perfect strike, I'll carry my 7i 150 yards. It also tells me that I'm equally likely to carry it 130.
Bad golfers, like me are so inconsistent that I don't see how a small personal dataset can be useful, unless I was keen to closely monitor my statistics, which I'm not. I'm sure others are.
I can definitely see how a dataset taken from millions of rounds played with game improvement irons would be very useful to Cobra or Ping's R&D or marketing departments.

D

Deleted member 3432

I would quite like to know how a shot tracker would have helped with my club selection this week.
Tuesday on 16th, 175 yards pin. Green is raised so got to fly all the way in less than firm conditions. Hit 8 iron and flew the green.

Thursday on same hole, yardage the same give or take a yard. 15 yards short with a 19 degree hybrid.

Wind switched 180 degrees, from 3 club downwind to 3 club headwind.

Best shot I hit all day was a 90 yard pitch with a 7 iron to 2 feet, just knocked it under the wind.

I think you see too many golfers obsessed by numbers, eg, I hit this club x distance.

Truth is very rarely does 150 yards play 150 yards due to wind, temps, humidity, uphill/downhill, ground conditions. They end up generally under clubbing on about 90% of their shots despite knowing how far they hit each club.

greenone

Visit site
If you use the virtual caddie (I don't) it takes into account wind direction and speed, temperature and slope.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I used it for a while when I had some Cobra F8 irons that came with ye grips, and the additional sensors that came with.

Pros:
I liked the stats, and the GPS yardages form the app via my Apple Watch seemed accurate.

Cons:
It missed too many shots. Chipping with clubs seemed to skew the yardages. Marking the pin for putts is a real faff as I had to get the phone out of my bag. Marking a putt from off the green seems to be a hassle. Screw in sensors are bulky and expensive to replace, as are the grip sensors if you play often and regrip each year

AND

It’s expensive due to the subscription.

Shotscope seems much better value for money and I’m seriously considering buying one. Just need to know if the numbers in the watch are big enough for me to read without my glasses o_O

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
One real issue I have is that the software needs you to put out. No net double bogey and picking up, if you don’t finish a hole it just takes you shots as score and thinks you chipped, from any distance.
Not much of an issue for better golfers, but when i lose 2 balls on a hole that becomes a mes, at least in competition. When playing by myself I just finish it anyway.

D

Deleted member 16999

Used mine today in a Comp, Link on belt, phone in bag, played, checked dashboard once round completed and saved.

1 tiny issue only, it recorded a 2 putt when I had a single putt, really pleased it recorded every other shot with no issues and the record hole function on the link worked really well, had very little editing to do when I looked at my account on the PC.

Only the 2nd time using the link on my belt rather than phone in my pocket, very impressed and just hope it continues.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got ARCOS on my driver/fairway and utility (Cobra) but found the whole subscription bit off putting as I don't have it on the other clubs and don't want to fork out £100+ for something that seems less important than other golf stuff to me.

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Used mine today in a Comp, Link on belt, phone in bag, played, checked dashboard once round completed and saved.

1 tiny issue only, it recorded a 2 putt when I had a single putt, really pleased it recorded every other shot with no issues and the record hole function on the link worked really well, had very little editing to do when I looked at my account on the PC.

Only the 2nd time using the link on my belt rather than phone in my pocket, very impressed and just hope it continues.

The link is brilliant. Had mine since before Xmas it worked like a treat but has recently stopped picking ALL my shots up! Sensors works fine with my phone but not the link..currently sorting the issue with customer service. Was thinking about binning arccos before the intrludicty of the link but it's.so easy and exactly as you described

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It came with my Cobra clubs, apparently it also comes with Ping clubs too. I used it for the trial period, but got fed up spending 15-30 minutes editing it after the game. I didn’t bother marking the pin position as it was even more faff. It regularly missed shots and the stats were not very accurate due to course peculiarities, Such as fairways being not where the software thought they were. I rarely use my 8 iron around the course but I do use it on a steep downhill 157 yard hole. So my stats show my 8 iron being longer than 7 iron.
the stats are also aimed at better players, for instance my approach to green stats are poor as my 200-225 yard approaches all come up short as I can’t hit any club except my driver that far.
As for £100 for a years subscription is concerned it was an easy choice of not Paying. I do have to say I did like looking at my shot distances after a round as having the new clubs it was beneficial to know, but once I had that info I didn’t need it any more.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
There’s a magazine feature on Arccos and they’re looking for some user feedback. Has anyone used it? Has it improved your game? What do you particularly like about it? Is there any aspect you don’t like? Thanks

I was fortunate enough to win a set cf Cobra clubs and Arrcos from GM a few years ago.

I enjoyed Arccos but didn’t reinvest when I got new clubs. I found that my game had levelled out at 5/6 handicap and the gains that I once enjoyed eg. distance control etc, were no longer their. I didn’t need arccos to tell me any more that I don’t make enough putts and most of my misses are to the right.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It came with my Cobra clubs, apparently it also comes with Ping clubs too. I used it for the trial period, but got fed up spending 15-30 minutes editing it after the game. I didn’t bother marking the pin position as it was even more faff. It regularly missed shots and the stats were not very accurate due to course peculiarities, Such as fairways being not where the software thought they were. I rarely use my 8 iron around the course but I do use it on a steep downhill 157 yard hole. So my stats show my 8 iron being longer than 7 iron.
the stats are also aimed at better players, for instance my approach to green stats are poor as my 200-225 yard approaches all come up short as I can’t hit any club except my driver that far.
As for £100 for a years subscription is concerned it was an easy choice of not Paying. I do have to say I did like looking at my shot distances after a round as having the new clubs it was beneficial to know, but once I had that info I didn’t need it any more.
This for me is the best thing about my Garmin s60
It auto tracked Every full shot, and I got used to it so afters I could edit to say that was a driver or an iron etc

So I got the ct10 sensors for it .. expensive but what I wanted .. now those shots have the club tagged

No editing

Doesn't miss chips

Goes in end of grips so easy to move when replace clubs etc

Have replaceable batteries in them

Also when I pull a club tells me on my watch what it is and My average distance

Useful

D

Deleted member 16999

This for me is the best thing about my Garmin s60
It auto tracked Every full shot, and I got used to it so afters I could edit to say that was a driver or an iron etc

So I got the ct10 sensors for it .. expensive but what I wanted .. now those shots have the club tagged

No editing

Doesn't miss chips

Goes in end of grips so easy to move when replace clubs etc

Have replaceable batteries in them

Also when I pull a club tells me on my watch what it is and My average distance

Useful
Don’t you have to disable that function for playing in comps though?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t you have to disable that function for playing in comps though?

I don't believe you do, I'd have to check (the watch does have tournament mode) however when you get to the distance it doesn't say right 8i from here (which I believe wouldn't be allowed) it only says how far you hit said club once you have picked what you play

For example pull a 8iron it goes 125

I think that's ok?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Play’s Like or Club Suggestions Features – A lot of devices now collect your swing data and will know how far you hit your golf shots. GPS devices can give you club suggestions based on your swing history. Devices such as rangefinders give you ‘Plays Like’ information.

I think that would cover it?

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't believe you do, I'd have to check (the watch does have tournament mode) however when you get to the distance it doesn't say right 8i from here (which I believe wouldn't be allowed) it only says how far you hit said club once you have picked what you play

For example pull a 8iron it goes 125

I think that's ok?
Yes mate, you’re right it’s Tournament mode for comps: From the Garmin S60 Website.

Tournament Mode
Disables the PinPointer and PlaysLike distance features. These features are not allowed during sanctioned tournaments or handicap calculation rounds.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes mate, you’re right it’s Tournament mode for comps: From the Garmin S60 Website.

Tournament Mode
Disables the PinPointer and PlaysLike distance features. These features are not allowed during sanctioned tournaments or handicap calculation rounds.

Might disable them constantly lol never find I can drop the pin anyways and plays like useless to me

Cheers for that , saves a DQ