Does anyone use Arccos?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
There’s a magazine feature on Arccos and they’re looking for some user feedback. Has anyone used it? Has it improved your game? What do you particularly like about it? Is there any aspect you don’t like? Thanks

D

Deleted member 16999

I use it, did use Game Golf until their customer support and their Pro version started to suffer.

Used it for 4 months before the last lockdown and found the information very accurate and far more in depth than GG.

The annual cost will be a sticking point if users don’t use the information given for improving themselves.

With only using it 4 months and the last lockdown I can’t put my hand on my heart and say it has improved my game, but it has highlighted the weaker areas of my game to work on over this season.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've had Game Golf and also Shotscope and frankly they were both so difficult to get to work properly that, whilst I wouldn't mind trying Arcoss, I really dont want to risk another load of money on a system that may be no better.

Game golf didnt always record shots but forgetting to tap the belt receiver was often the fault but Shotscope was a nightmare, they eventually told me I needed to waggle the club more and take more practice swings, something I wouldn't normally have done - I only tried it once after that and it still didnt record sufficiently enough shots still and I had to do far too much editing which clearly would ruin the true stats.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think their partnership with cobra is a great idea. Give them away and then sucker people into a fee for renewing

I've got Garmin and their connect sensors .. expensive but work fantastic

The watches have built in tracking on some which is all u need

RichA

Visit site
I have never used Arccos, so can't provide feedback. I am however in the market for a set of new irons and will be specifying grips without Arccos.
I don't want to pay a subscription once the free period ends and I can't see how they help golfers like me, who can't consistently hit a yardage with the same iron repeatedly anyway. The red and white stick 150 yards from the centre of the green seems more useful than obsessively digging my phone out to check the app after every shot.
Unless I'm massively missing the point, I'm assuming that it's a tool for their R&D people to harvest data from paying customers.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I used Arccos for a while and had nothing but trouble with it.
I had the tags and the Link
I found it hard to place the Link so it would pick up shots - so many were missed I'd spend more time editing than playing.
Although I went through the process of pairing the tags to the app the system regularly picked up the wrong club or no club at all - hence the missed shots.
I didn't use the caddie facility as the last thing I want is a phone in my hand on the course..
As a result I never got to really look at the data because there wasn't enough of it...mind you, hitting 395 yard drives made me feel good.
I've moved on to Shotscope V3.
Only 2 rounds in and it's missed a total of 4 shots, 2 of which were short chips.
Seems much more reliable - and I don't take many practice swings.

D

Deleted member 16999

I have never used Arccos, so can't provide feedback. I am however in the market for a set of new irons and will be specifying grips without Arccos.
I don't want to pay a subscription once the free period ends and I can't see how they help golfers like me, who can't consistently hit a yardage with the same iron repeatedly anyway. The red and white stick 150 yards from the centre of the green seems more useful than obsessively digging my phone out to check the app after every shot.
Unless I'm massively missing the point, I'm assuming that it's a tool for their R&D people to harvest data from paying customers.
Phone is in my bag prior to teeing off and doesn’t come out again until I leave the course.

Not only Arccos, but Shotscope, GG etc give a lot more than shot distance.

Bwgan

Hacker
Visit site
I've used Game Golf for years and was fortunate to get Arcoss through their special offer with Ping clubs I bought. I was really excited to tried it as they seem to offer a few more stats than Game Golf and was willing to pay the subscription (Game Golf subscription free). However first round it just zapped the battery on my phone from 100% to a couple of % left (Samsung S8). Tried again the next week, with all apps off and it did the same, so basically system is un usable. I believe this is android issue? Having my phone In my pocket was a right pain, the clip on game golf is so much better but i think arcoss has brought out something similar. So as you can tell I'm back on Game Golf.

bwstokie

Visit site
Yes the subscription is a bit of a sore point but I find it invaluable and after recent updates it hardly misses a beat. I use the Apple Watch app to get the distances and occasionally whip my phone out if it’s a new course and I’m not sure what I’m facing. Having the phone in my pocket has never bothered me and I’ll see me continuing with it as long as I have a full bag of cobra clubs. Have experienced both the smart grips and the screw in sensors and feel as though the grips are far better than the sensors from my experience. I’ve never had any issues with phone or watch battery life other than I tried the shot detection on the watch a couple of times (leaving phone in bag) and my watch only just lasted a 2.5 hour 18 hole sole round. Haven’t used any other solution apart from Arccos so can’t comment on how it compares to anything else.

RichA

Visit site
Phone is in my bag prior to teeing off and doesn’t come out again until I leave the course.

Not only Arccos, but Shotscope, GG etc give a lot more than shot distance.
Do you just use it for post-match analysis, knowing your yardages?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I am an early adopter on this and therefore lucky to have the plug ins without any annual fees. Ever! (?)

I like the whole stats set you get, distances by club, misses by side, long or short, ... . The strikes gained is still a bit beyond my understanding, but that is probably because my Arccos handicap is too optimistic about my ability.

I know that the issues are likely due to my inconsistent play, and I play a lot better on the 9 hole than on the 18 hole course. That makes the caddy function useless to me at this point in time, but I know it works well for a more consistent player.

The green is a bit of a faffing around exercise, but I now got the link and it should make it easier to set the flag. Not used it yet, didn’t play between the last lockdowns.

If you are working with them, get them to integrate with top tracer. That would be great, automatic club recognition; and possibly stats back into Arccos as well ;-)

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just (today) got a Cobra F9 iron set with built in Arccos and have requested the free set of extra sensors for my other clubs. I was a long time Game Golf user but got burnt with the "Pro" product that never worked for me.

Tinkerman

Visit site
Had it on my Cobra clubs. Missed too many shots and didn't want to pay the subscription. Good stats though. Now using Garmin S20. Stats aren't as good but only one off fee and doesn't miss shots. Downside is you need sensors for putting.
Think about how much you need the stats. Do you already know your strengths and weaknesses? Do you know your distances? Will it be something you use for 4 months and then ignore or look at infrequently? Only you can answer those.

greenone

Visit site
Had it on my Cobra clubs. Missed too many shots and didn't want to pay the subscription. Good stats though. Now using Garmin S20. Stats aren't as good but only one off fee and doesn't miss shots. Downside is you need sensors for putting.
Think about how much you need the stats. Do you already know your strengths and weaknesses? Do you know your distances? Will it be something you use for 4 months and then ignore or look at infrequently? Only you can answer those.
I thought I knew my strengths and weaknesses were. Turns out my weakness wasn't what I thought it was. It's great for showing what needs worked on and the best bit for me is where my miss is for each club. Since I got the link missed shots are now a rarity.

Albo

Visit site
I got them free with my Cobra woods, used for a short time, but found the drain on my phone battery to be horrific so stopped using them, they might have been great but I'll never know.

Edit to add, I now use Garmin S60 watch which gives me all.the data I need and from memory used to get from the Cobra clubs.

I didn't realise there was a monthly cost to these things now, glad I binned them when I did.

The pay monthly thing generally isn't to my taste, up here in Scotland in the winter months i'm either not playing or wrapped up.in so many layers that there could be no real meaningful stats.

What ever happened to buy once use until you need to buy again?!

Last edited:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fantastic idea and well designed in comparison to game golf.

I used mine religiously for two years but frankly got tired of the extra complexity it added to golf.

I spent a lot of time faffing around between holes trying to correct it’s missed shots etc.

It also killed the battery in my Iwatch 4 and only lasted 15 holes at most

In the end I flogged it. Not because as an individual item it was poor necessarily. However when you are setting up a trolly and then Faffing around with the clunky arcoss menus and phone pairing etc it was to much farting around before and during a round. It became a total distraction for me personally.

I ditched the trolly as well and just Carry now with a basic garmin g10 watch.

I think tech can really help but similarly most of it is just a distraction.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You have missed the point

How do you know which club goes 150? Use a tracker to check

Think your thinking of GPS.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You have missed the point

How do you know which club goes 150? Use a tracker to check

Think your thinking of GPS.
A shot tracker can't give you the distance info that you really need.
It can only work on carry + roll.
So your 7i may go 150 in total but the number you need is the carry because roll depends on millions of variables.
No shot tracker that you can take out on the course will give you carry.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A shot tracker can't give you the distance info that you really need.
It can only work on carry + roll.
So your 7i may go 150 in total but the number you need is the carry because roll depends on millions of variables.
No shot tracker that you can take out on the course will give you carry.

Your eyes can work that bit out tho, especially over 150 yards you can see you roughly rolled X amount of yards

Also can look at where your pitch mark is on the green and work it out and minus from the distance