Does anyone draw a line on their ball to line up for putting?

AdamW

Visit site
Reading a book on putting and one of the tips is to draw a line across the ball , to help line up putts.

Just wondering if anyone has tried doing this and what your results have been if you have?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tens of Millions of people do it, one line, 3 lines, freehand fills and arrow extensions or machine/tool assisted.
Most of them then try and line that up with their line of putt....then try and line up their putter face at address.....then lose that most of the time through their stroke! The ones that do return the putter to the same position at impact frequently find that they had the wrong line in the first place (didn't read the break) - or come up short ?

Basically it 'works' for many people on many levels (for many it's a confidence thing) and you should try it to see if it works for you.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use the line that is on the ball anyway, never add an extra one. Whether I actually line the ball up depend how far I am from the hole, over about 20 feet I'm more concerned about the strength of the putt and so tend to just judge it by standing over the ball.

AdamW

Visit site
Tens of Millions of people do it, one line, 3 lines, freehand fills and arrow extensions or machine/tool assisted.
Most of them then try and line that up with their line of putt....then try and line up their putter face at address.....then lose that most of the time through their stroke! The ones that do return the putter to the same position at impact frequently find that they had the wrong line in the first place (didn't read the break) - or come up short ?

Basically it 'works' for many people on many levels (for many it's a confidence thing) and you should try it to see if it works for you.

Thanks i will give it a go, this is brand new info to me so looking forward to trying it.

Any tool in particular you recommend?

Very quick google brought this up : https://www.ebay.com/itm/LINEFIX360-GOLF-BALL-ALIGNMENT-TOOL-100-BRITISH-THE-ORIGINAL-/271574106774

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I draw a line using a template and Sharpie which I use to line up the ball when putting.

Started doing it when I went through a phase of missing putts and our pro basically told me I was aiming incorrectly. Proved it by using a laser on my putter face and suggested I use the line in future. Works for me!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Alignment Lines on balls are a blinking nuisance. I don't use them so I have to clean the lines off any ball I find with them before I can use it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a ball balancer (Technosonic) which means there is a line on the ball but I do not get pedantic about making sure it it is totally lined up accurately to my intended putting line.

My mate takes an age to line his up often moving the ball 3 or more times - right pain.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I use a ball balancer (Technosonic) which means there is a line on the ball but I do not get pedantic about making sure it it is totally lined up accurately to my intended putting line.

My mate takes an age to line his up often moving the ball 3 or more times - right pain.
Got a buddy like that - mark and pick - place and line up - stand up - look at line - back down again mark and tweak - stand up - look at line - back down mark and tweak...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
More flaffing and farting about. How about we try and speed the game up not slow it down.

Look at the ball, look at the hole, look at the ball, look at the hole.

Putt.

Easy peasy, where's the difficulty?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
More flaffing and farting about. How about we try and speed the game up not slow it down.

Look at the ball, look at the hole, look at the ball, look at the hole.

Putt.

Easy peasy, where's the difficulty?
i don;t faff and fart about, but i doubt if you are a quick player it would make any difference

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't bother with any extra lines on the ball, and ignore the printing already on it. I use the painted mark on my putter, not the ball.