Does Anybody NOT Like Full-Length-Dividers?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Wow.........

Never seen a bag with so many woods in it, is that your wifes bag ?

I prefer generously lofted fairway woods to hybrids. The shot's angle of descent is steeper for holding greens.
We play less run-on golf on American courses.

The iron lofts are so ludicrously strong now that except for a driving iron, I don't have low-numbered irons.
My six-iron is what used to be a four-iron...actually, not hyperbole!

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I prefer generously lofted fairway woods to hybrids. The shot's angle of descent is steeper for holding greens.
We play less run-on golf on American courses.

The iron lofts are so ludicrously strong now that except for a driving iron, I don't have low-numbered irons.
My six-iron is what used to be a four-iron...actually, not hyperbole!
Yep it's crazy but I suppose everyone is driven by yardages and the manufacturers have had to adjust things to suit people egoes, rather than people putting in the practice.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Fair play but could you not just put a bit more time in on the range and practice hitting irons

Long irons have a brute stregth factor to them that's fine for young players and less so for seniors. I do bag a driving iron for scary driving holes, but that's very much a tech utility that's not as hard to hit as a regular long iron. With the alternate choice of hybrids or well-lofted fairway woods, plus taking into account how strong-lofted modern irons are, starting irons with the number six is relatively common among seniors. Starting irons with lower than the number five has become outright uncommon among American recreational players. The modern 6-iron was a 4-iron not that long ago.

Ironically, that's really on the manufacturers more than on players' egos. The engineers design clubs to launch at a certain angle vis a vis the club number, and with the radically changed weight distribution on irons, a strong lofted 5-iron launches like an old 5-iron that's 6 degrees weaker. But it also goes as far as an old 3-iron.

Last edited:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Long irons have a brute stregth factor to them that's fine for young players and less so for seniors. I do bag a driving iron for scary driving holes, but that's very much a tech utility that's not as hard to hit as a regular long iron. With the alternate choice of hybrids or well-lofted fairway woods, plus taking into account how strong-lofted modern irons are, starting irons with the number six is relatively common among seniors. Starting irons with lower than the number five has become outright uncommon among American recreational players. The modern 6-iron was a 4-iron not that long ago.

You can blame Taylormade for that.

Nothing better than hitting a crisp 2 or 3 iron from the fairway

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fair play but could you not just put a bit more time in on the range and practice hitting irons

Simply dont have the speed to launch a 2 3 4 or even 5 iron as high as I can hit a hybrid. Also find them easier to work one way or the other.

When I hit a 3 iron off the deck it will run in but I wont be hitting many into and onto a green.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got a 16 degree Adams dhy proto that I use as driving iron to hit running shots off the tee in the summer. My bag is currently set up for all carry in winter.

373060d2c693a589e1a2481129c3469f.jpg

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
You can blame Taylormade for that.

Nothing better than hitting a crisp 2 or 3 iron from the fairway

When TaylorMade introduced the hybrid with the orange painted "FireSole Rescue" of years ago, they intended to do what they succeeded doing with the "Pittsburgh Persimmon" metalwood line a decade earlier. Revolution the golf set. And to a certain extent, they succeeded again as hybrids abound. In a way, it's surprising as the original "Rescue," with its titanium clubhead, wasn't a particularly good club. It inspired useful clubs, though.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
When TaylorMade introduced the hybrid with the orange painted "FireSole Rescue" of years ago, they intended to do what they succeeded doing with the "Pittsburgh Persimmon" metalwood line a decade earlier. Revolution the golf set. And to a certain extent, they succeeded again as hybrids abound. In a way, it's surprising as the original "Rescue," with its titanium clubhead, wasn't a particularly good club. It inspired useful clubs, though.

To add to my own post, it should be noted that Lynx Golf introduced the "Claw" in 1978. It was almost like a modern hybrid, but instead of a hollow metal head, it had a one-piece steel face and soleplate with a wood filler set into the scooped crown. Wedgewood still makes something similar but leaves the top scooped out without the wood insert.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Simply dont have the speed to launch a 2 3 4 or even 5 iron as high as I can hit a hybrid. Also find them easier to work one way or the other.

When I hit a 3 iron off the deck it will run in but I wont be hitting many into and onto a green.
What is the flight of your driver at 9 degrees?
Also is there a 10 yard gap between clubs or does that change through the hybrids?
I only choose hybrid by distance not loft or designation, although I roughly know suitable lofts but some faces are very hot.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw my first hybrid when I had a rental bag in the states. Must of been 2001 ish ... was a Cleveland halo. It had a graphite shaft and was a 3 iron loft. I was not too bad a golfer back then. I remember looking at it and laughing. But I landed in a fairway bunker about 200 yards out, typical shallow bunker with light sand ( courses in the states always feel nicely prepared). So I took this club and gave it a tonk and it took off, floated into the green and stopped sharpish. I was hooked ... when back to the U.K. worked out what I needed and ordered one, destroyed par 5s with it and long par 3s

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What is the flight of your driver at 9 degrees?
Also is there a 10 yard gap between clubs or does that change through the hybrids?
I only choose hybrid by distance not loft or designation, although I roughly know suitable lofts but some faces are very hot.

The flight of my driver depends on how I deliver the club. I can hit it high or low. I find I tend to spin drivers once they start to go up in loft.

I've lofted the 2 hybrids up so they play shorter than standard. There is a little gap between the 7iron and lofted up 5. I dont find it too much of an issue. I can either hit a 7 as hard as I can or ease back on the 5. No big deal.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH most cart bags are crap and all they have going for them is FLD, i preffer a tour bag TBH as i like to take everything i own out on the course with me:ROFLMAO: