Do you trust launch monitors?

Grizzly

Visit site
With apologies for picking your collectives brains again....

Launch monitors. I was in American Golf the other day killing a half hour between meetings by looking at the new ranges, and talked myself into trying out the Ping Crossover driving irons. They had a net and screens, and a launch monitor set up, and I hit maybe 20 balls with each of two set ups. My question is, how much can I trust the results? I recognise I should be comparing in my head to a wind free mid Summer day rather than imagining how I'm hitting it in winter with no run on the fairways, a stiff breeze and cold air conditions but...averaging 242 yards with a 3 iron seems excessive (for comparison, I currently carry a 5 wood that I'm lucky to get 220 out of)

D

Deleted member 3432

You can trust launch monitors, GQ quad and Trackman are fantastic bits of kit.

You can't trust salesmen fiddling about with launch monitors when you are testing clubs!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Launch monitors are simply pieces of tech which measure certain things. I trust them to do so within a certain specification so long as they are accurately calibrated.

The question is therefore whether you trust a particular vendor to honestly calibrate the devices or if you think they might crank them up to make a sale.

Grizzly

Visit site
You can trust launch monitors, GQ quad and Trackman are fantastic bits of kit.

You can't trust salesmen fiddling about with launch monitors when you are testing clubs!

Thankfully I don't think that was an issue - it was a Pro, and I was left to it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I trust them but if you're trying out new clubs on one, you need to bring your own clubs to try out in the same conditions for a proper comparison. And keep swapping between the two so you can't put it down to having warmed up, or the settings being fiddled.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I had a fitting with ag and the numbers of my 7 iron were well below what I normally hit and when I tried a new iron, low and behold I was hitting my usual distance

Grizzly

Visit site
I trust them but if you're trying out new clubs on one, you need to bring your own clubs to try out in the same conditions for a proper comparison. And keep swapping between the two so you can't put it down to having warmed up, or the settings being fiddled.

That's sensible - if I take, say, a 5 iron that I consistently hit 185 and intersperse it, it should give me a good idea how accurate the calibration is.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
The shop was the AG by Monument. No idea my driver clubhead speed but my swing speed when I was fitted for it was 108.

I often pop into that one on my way to Cannon Street.
It’s one of the better ag’s about, with the one at Sidcup and the O2

D

Deleted member 23270

The important thing with monitors is purely to treat them as comparison devices. Forget the distances, just see how club A compares side by side with club B.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I will take my own club usually a 7 iron with me. I know from hitting it on Trackman and GC Quad what my numbers should be so can see very easily if the monitor in a store has been cranked. If I am using a monitor when having a lesson I'd trust the data unless it gave what I considered a wild or strange number and then question it. On the whole yes I do trust them

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
As all have said. It largely depends on who is using it and what for. We had a golf sim setup at work when we were sponsoring an event. The longest drive was 360 yds.......it was ridiculous how it had been setup. On the other hand, I go to a club fitter/pro and we always make a comparison between current clubs and any new stuff I am looking at. We also only take measurements using proper balls, range balls are used for warm up.

hombre_paulo

Medal Winner
Visit site
I went for a wedge test at AG and took along my existing 52 degree vokey. Hit a few with that to warm up and asked the guy what distance they were going, 115yds said the guy. He went very quiet and fiddle with his settings when i pointed out the game golf tag and the fact I've never hit it over 105yds.
Suffice to say after his fiddling his numbers were much more accurate - trust the monitor, dont trust salespeople.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Launch monitors do not take in a lot of other conditions that would affect things. AG seem to just focus on how far all the time, I had a 'fitting' at monument once and all I got recommended was a club that I hit the longest - not the one I consistently got good dispersion/spin rates etc.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
In AG, I don't like the computer screen, I think lines it draws are out of proporion, so being offline looks a lot worse than it is in real life. The instructor I go to has a trackman on the range bay we use, so I can see ball flight for real as well as the figures. I trust the figures it displays, but prefer to see the results for real.