Do you love your putter?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Back in the summer of 2020 I lost my putter....left it on the roof of the car and drove off from the club...walked as much of the 15 mile route as was practical over the following summer evenings but never found it.

I loved that putter. I'd had it maybe 14 or 15 years, won all the club major comps with it in the bag. Sure there were periods of time when I had dalliances and even long term affairs with other flatsticks....but I always went back to my beloved mallet and knew I would never sell it.

However, after losing it, I needed a replacement, tried quite a few younger models in shops, some I even took out for a practise round. Some I even betrothed myself to, by way of a credit card transaction. There were several quick divorces. Eventually I thought that I could work at a long term relationship with a Scotty Select Flowback and for a year or so we've been enjoying a relationship....but sadly, the spark is not there, I have no feelings for the putter. I don't love it. When things go awry on the greens I don't offer up words of reassurance, I don't tell the putter that it was a one-off, that it wont happen again. Sure we work at the relationship....I take the putter out for lots of practise, I buy it new grips, I look after it well, but sometimes I get the feeling that the putter is just leading me on, doing just enough to maintain my interest....teasing me almost with a promise of things to come.

So. Recently I decided to end our relationship and spent some time searching through putter dating websites....and I found someone something...almost by accident, it was hot stuff, a putter that well....is "high class" by anyones imagination, with an appetite to put a dent in ones credit card like few others can. It arrived yesterday, could almost be the twin of my lost putter, but I know its not. But, even after just a few tentative strokes of my balls across the deep living room carpet....there's something there....a fire has been lit...there's a warmth in my belly...perhaps too early for the L-bomb....but its there, I could be falling...

Do you love your putter?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh yes, mine is a real head turner. It's no trophy wife, but definitely a MILF many look at and salivate over it's stunning looks.
She's soft at the right moments, firm when needed. She even likes the bigger grip. Best thing is she wants to play all the time.:)

She's a Rife Cayman Brac in tropical finish......simply stunning:)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yep...
1st had one (Odyssey #7H White Hot Tour) about 6 or 7 years back.
Loved it then but the lure of newer shinies tempted me away.
Putted OK with other putters but never really felt "at ho e" with one.
Just after joining Ellesborough I was using a Metal X Milled #7 but found it a bit hot for the faster greens.
Tracked down this WHT#7 with barely a mark on it and got it for a steal.
A new grip and away we went..
It will take something really special to extract it from my bag...even got a new grip for it on my Xmas list...
She deserves it..

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep ? - it’s my greatest asset , it helps me play off 1 instead of 5

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I did love mine, had it for 10 years, but I didn’t treat it too well, no new grips, never cleaned it properly, certainly didn’t get into the cracks with my tool (one of those brush things). In the end, it went off with another man, and I feel sick thinking of him touching my putter. Can’t sleep.

I’m on the rebound now, trying to make it work, smiling at the right moments, but I can’t see it lasting.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
In 2010, I was working for Credit Suisse in Canary Wharf. I was walking through the office when I saw two blokes looking at a putter.

It was a Cameron Studio Select Kombi. I'd been looking at these in the pro shop. I think they were about £180 back then.

Nice putter I said. Other guy said it was for sale, as he couldn't get on with it. It was virtually new. He said I could have it for £100. There was an ATM on the floor, I dashed over and took it away there and then!

It hasn't left my bag since that day.

So, yes, I do!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, I don't love mine. Sometimes it works well, sometimes not but even on a good day there is no affection there. A marriage of convenience. I've yet to find that 'special one'.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In 2010, I was working for Credit Suisse in Canary Wharf. I was walking through the office when I saw two blokes looking at a putter.

It was a Cameron Studio Select Kombi. I'd been looking at these in the pro shop. I think they were about £180 back then.

Nice putter I said. Other guy said it was for sale, as he couldn't get on with it. It was virtually new. He said I could have it for £100. There was an ATM on the floor, I dashed over and took it away there and then!

It hasn't left my bag since that day.

So, yes, I do!
I remember giving it a waft at Forest Pines...looks like it should weigh a ton but is as light as a feather...

D

Deleted member 23270

I have 4. One in the bag which is kept in the boot of the car. The other three are all in the garage and they can see each other so they know what they are up against.

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a taylormade rossa monza putter cant remember how old it is its black and red which has been in my bag since new the grip is knackered but I just feel so comfortable using it.

I bought a scotty off someone on here a few years ago and still havent used it :) so I guess I love my Rossa :love:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh yes, mine is a real head turner. It's no trophy wife, but definitely a MILF many look at and salivate over it's stunning looks.
She's soft at the right moments, firm when needed. She even likes the bigger grip. Best thing is she wants to play all the time.:)

She's a Rife Cayman Brac in tropical finish......simply stunning:)

I had that putter, so sexy!

The putter up until this season was the most changed club in my bag, mallets to blades, toe hung to face balanced, milled to insert, center shafted, I’d tried everything.

This year I bit the bullet and got fitted on a Sam lab, pulled the trigger on a scotty phantom 11 and haven’t looked back since. I’ve holed more putts this season than I have over the last 4-5 combined. She won’t be going anywhere, tho much so I’d even contemplated treating the girl to a custom shop dress for special occasions

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very much so. It's a Scotty Cameron something that I won from Golf Monthly as my letter was deemed Letter of the Month some 15 odd years ago! Used it ever since.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have too many to count after countless years wondering around just looking at them and taking pleasure in their form.
I only part with the ones that don’t make the cut ..
Last year the Del Mar made a return and helped win a club pairs competition. But it’s been sidelined now for a Cobra Stingray..
I am fickle I have no commitment I am a putter play boy and use them with no emotional attachment only as objects that I own.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When I was a teenager (1970s), I took what I could get without much discernment. But I didn't play the field. I went with what was available, going spare if you like - a Petron Impala - cheap second hand - but it met my needs and desires at the time - saw me through my teens and twenties - and we are still friends and part of each other's lives.
But in 1989 I met a lovely Ben Sayers Opel Line One and we have been together ever since. Nothing else compares. Not to me anyway.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I love all of mine, and in an effort to show no favouritism I rotate them on a weekly or less basis.
Some might get used for a couple of weeks in the year, some not at all but they're all loved.

(This week's is a Pirie, Eric Brown "Gold Strike", nice!)