Do people still use/carry 1 irons , Also 1 iron and 3 wood questions

needy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi All

Was wondering do any of you guys carry and use a 1 iron ?

Also whats the difference in using a 1 iron and a 3 wood off fairways ?

Would you use a 1 iron or driver/3wood in head winds and cross winds off the tee to keep ball low ?

Thanks

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi All

Was wondering do any of you guys carry and use a 1 iron ?

Also whats the difference in using a 1 iron and a 3 wood off fairways ?

Would you use a 1 iron or driver/3wood in head winds and cross winds off the tee to keep ball low ?

Thanks

No

Ball flight, run

1 iron

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
In the past I carried a 1 iron that matched my irons and used it when my woods were on the naughty step.
to hit it off the fairway you needed a perfect lie.
It was great in windy conditions
i wish I hadn't sold it

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not carried a 1 iron for nearly 30 years. A modern 2/3 iron is pretty much the same loft as an older 1 iron, and usually easier to hit. Then there's the lower lofted hybrids.

3 wood is easier to hit but, for me, it goes a little higher. It's a trade off that you consider, depending on the lie and wind...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've never used a 1 iron on a course.
Had a few goes on the range but not for me.
Had a 3 iron for a while back in the mid-late 90's.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
I played recently with a guy who had a 'Dynacraft' 18 degree driving iron. I had a go and hit it well so bought one off Nordica Golf for £38 (built to spec). It's great for the price. Goes long and low when you get used to it

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I swapped out my 3w for a 1i almost a year ago, comes in very handy for fairways where my driver would be too long (doglegs, bunkers, trees etc), works quite well and squeezes more or less an extra 20 yards out over my 3i.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
RickG loved his 1 iron and he hit it very well also, low and long penetrating shots and far more control than using his 3w.

The sound of the ball fizzing over your head into the distance was something else.

Hats off to any handicap golfers that can play a 1 iron well 🏌️

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why not try one of the low lofted hybrids or driving irons? Great off the fairway and much easier than a 1-iron.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a one iron back in the day but looking back probably cost me as many shots from bad tee shots as it did getting me into a good position. Rarely used it off the deck and would rather have hit 3/5 wood

needy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replys guys some interesting opinions there

My reason behind thinking to buy a 1 iron something like a old Ping isi is that the course im a member of runs along the side of the river severn and is always windy as hell also i cant hit a 3 wood off the fairway for toffee, did but myself a ping G5 18 degree hybrid but cant hit that for toffee either....My go too club on 2nd shot par 5s is my 3iron which i always strike well.

So with the very strong wind factor and my lack of 3 wood skills off fairway im really close to getting a 1 iron.

Thanks

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never had a 1 iron in my life, or a 2 iron even. My old starter set had a driver, 3 & 5 woods, then 3-SW irons. My new irons I got last year were 5-SW, so I plugged the gap with a 7 wood borrowed off my dad for a while, then eventually bought myself a 4 hybrid instead.

In the old set I couldn't hit the 3 iron to save my life, so I highly doubt a 1 iron would be any use to me at all! Might as well smack it down the fairway with my putter. :lol: