Do I need new irons?

Robster

Hacker
Visit site
I have been playing for around 2 years now and really enoying it. I have had a set of lessons and have a quite consistant swing. My problem is that my irons launch very high I'm hitting my 6 iron around 140 yards.

I have some wilson deep red fat shafts and I'm wondering should I change to something that launches lower to get more distance? If so what do people suggest to try. I have not got a handicap but I play a tricky par 27 allot and shoot a 35 - 42

S

Snelly

Probably not. The way you hit the ball isn't really down to the irons, it is down to you.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some shafts do make a big difference, I tried a set of RACs irons a couple of years back and they went nowhere, which surprised me as I had a set of RAC LTs and they went as far as my titleists now, the only difference was that the RAC's had cheap shafts, cant remember which model they were now as they lasted a couple of holes and were handed back as they were on trial.
Technique will have the biggest say though. Have you tried any other clubs?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No.
One of the guys a play with has the same Wilson clubs and plays off 6. Its you, not the clubs that will make more difference how you hit it than anything. Just cos a lot of people on here are all raving about this driver or this shaft making a difference to there game, the main thing is how you swing. Get some lessons, improve then look at changing clubs.

A

Alex1975

I have to agree with the others, I had a set of Deep Reds up until before christmas and they were very long hitting.

In the last few weeks with my new irons I have found a high ball flight and saw on a video on saturday that is was the way I was releasing the ball.

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
Well i would be happy with 140 yds for a six iron. I used to hit my irons very high when i hit them straight and recently had a custom fitting at Mizuno. Whilst my swing is still very much an out to in path when i hit a good striaght shot on their launch monitor i was hitting my Big bertha 2008 on a 28-30 degree launch angle. The fitter said i needed to hit it closer to the 20 mark. A play with different shafts and the JPX 800 head and i was hitting the good shots at 22 degree launch angles. The way i see it we may swing with a bad swing but some clubs make it worse. A bit like draw drivers. Technology designed for fixing faults can also exagerate others. For example you hit a hook with a draw driver as a high handicaper was it really a hook or just a draw made worse bye the club. At which point you know you are going to try something different on the next tee shot.

People will tell you it is your swing no need to change your clubs just get more lessons. And this is largely correct. However, not all of us are going to improve from 28hcp to scratch i think the stats are something like 80% of golfers have a hcp over 18. You need to get to a stable playing ability before changing clubs really. Then just get some professional advice on what current technology could offer you.