Do I need a stiffer shaft?

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been working pretty hard on my ball striking over recent week and it's paying off (20 Stableford points over our 9 hole course at the weekend).

Irons are pretty consistent and reliable (full and chips) but woods are much less reliable. When I swing a wood I really, really have to bad off the swing at full speed, got far slower and then it goes straight but not far.

If I swing at my usual tempo I get very inconsistent results, topped, low and left or slices.

So, should I get some stats measured on my swing and see if I'd be better with another (stiffer) shaft? Or is it just me and the woods?

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
@Homer,

I was expecting a lesson might be needed but wanted a few clues first if possible - perhaps they aren't.

@Ethan,

6 iron is about 140-150 yards with regular steel shafts. I have regular graphite shafts in my Wilson woods. (see footer)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
6 iron is about 140-150 yards with regular steel shafts. I have regular graphite shafts in my Wilson woods. (see footer)

I am not sure what shaft is in the Spine, and how it stacks up alongside the shafts in your irons, but on the basis of the 6 iron distance, I would be wary of moving up to a stiffer shaft in either woods or irons without a pro agreeing it was the right fix for the problem.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Matty.
Id say all the clues are here

If I swing at my usual tempo I get very inconsistent results, topped, low and left or slices.

That tells me, you are swinging out to in and getting ahead of the ball at impact.
New shafts wont help that I'm afraid. Before you try messing with your shafts, try and keep your head behind the ball at impact and see if that improves your ball flight. If not, go and see your pro.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
@region3,

Driver goes about 200-220 yards when I back off although sometimes less than this.

I'm getting the impression though that stiffer is unlikely the way to go, I'll seen if I can have a look at my swing path with the driver - I feel like I've straightened my iron swing path pretty well in recent weeks, maybe more work is needed on the woods and if I can't get there I'll got for a lesson and maybe get some radar input too!

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That tells me, you are swinging out to in and getting ahead of the ball at impact.
New shafts wont help that I'm afraid. Before you try messing with your shafts, try and keep your head behind the ball at impact and see if that improves your ball flight. If not, go and see your pro.

Is one of the recommended drills for this the head covers on the floor behind the ball?

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nice results so far - nipped the range this evening. Focussed purely on keeping my head behind the ball, making a smooth swing and keeping the path in to in. Much straighter!! So thanks everyone :)