Do I need a new driver?

yoggumz

Visit site
Hey everyone. First post for me.

I've been playing golf on and off now for about 10-12 years and I've recently really got back into it after a layoff.

I'm currently using an old Titleist 907 D2 driver with a stiff shaft and I still hit it fairly well. Normally I hit quite a nice draw off the tee but have been known to blow it right on a miss-hit.

I know that the 907 (2007?) is a very old driver and I just wondered how much more benefit I would get in terms of forgiveness/ distance with a more modern driver? I can't afford to spend £400 on a brand new driver unfortunately so I would most certainly be looking in the second-hand market. Do you think it's worth buying a 'newer' driver that was perhaps made in the last 5 years? Or would it not be worth it?

Lot's of articles online have a bit of a bias as they're largely written by sponsored players or manufacturers so I'm looking for some advice from some neutrals.

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think Yes.
The 907 was a notoriously "spinny" driver. That alone can cost you a lot of distance.
Newer clubs will retain ball speed from off centre hits a lot better than the 907 too..so mishits will go further.
It might be an idea to spend some cash on a fitting, find out if you can make gains ( which you probably will) and then trawl the 2nd hand market for a similar club.

yoggumz

Visit site
Thank you for the response. I do have a fitter that is quite local to me so I can get myself booked in. Can you recommend a particular driver/ drivers that might be worth looking out for on the second hand market?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Thank you for the response. I do have a fitter that is quite local to me so I can get myself booked in. Can you recommend a particular driver/ drivers that might be worth looking out for on the second hand market?
Really depends on how the fir goes.
Ping G series are always worth a look..plenty of forgiveness and plenty of oomph too..
Callaway Rogue are a few years old but still a good bet
TM M series are also a good bet.
Titleist 917 were pretty good and the TS2 even better.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Another vote for yes.

14 years is a long time for technology to advance, youd find more forgiveness in a modern club I think!

Recommendations - get on Golfbidder/ ebay looking for used but in good nick.

A Taylormade M2, Ping G or Cobra speedzone are all fairly priced these days!

yoggumz

Visit site
Thanks for your advice. Yes I'm going to keep an eye out now on the 2nd hand market. Was looking last night for prices on the TM M Series and Ping G. I'll try giving away my current driver to a newbie to get them started and then buy myself a second hand one. Thanks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Modern drivers are very good and very forgiving a lot is down to looks and how you feel about it.
But the difference you will see imo is in the shaft.
Modern shafts have changed the game we play imo.
If I was you I would get fitted but pay attention to the shafts you try.
Most adjustable heads can be made to play as you like to flight your ball.
But your shaft has to fit properly to get the most out of it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well worth updating from the 907. What you get depends on budget. Doesn't have to be a new model, some of the recent models are very good options, e.g Callaway Mavrik, Ping 410 or TM SIM. Don't overlook other brands such as Mizuno or Srixon. I agree with club champ that the shaft (weight, flex, playing characteristics) is key.

In my opinion, I would suggest avoiding a well known retail chain and instead look for a pro or fitter with a reasonable selection of kit.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I'd say you should probably upgrade. The technology continues to advance and like the other poster said ten years is a long time in the world of golf equipment. I have a similar problem in that I'm getting older and my current driver (a 10.5* Ping G400 with a stock R shaft isn't going as far as when I first got it. I've noticed my 15* Callaway Mavrik Max three wood goes as far or even farther off the deck. I'm thinking about getting a Mavrik driver hoping to pick up a few yards off the tee.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played against someone last week, late 50’s playing off 5 using a taylormade burner firesole (circa 94/95) Jesus could he hit low bullets with that thing.

Just proves it’s about finding the middle of the bat.

yoggumz

Visit site
Just thought I would update this thread.

Went for a driver fitting today to just have a little go of what else is out there and let a local golf pro look at the current one.

We decided that the old 907 d2 and shaft were absolutely fine for me and no reason to replace it other than just for something new and shiny. I had a hit with a Callaway Epic and the Ping G425. No change in distance and consistency really.

Was recommended I spend the money on some lessons and played for often!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'd very much like a new driver, but the Teamsters Union rates went up so I'm stuck driving myself.
Bummer.

On other fronts, TaylorMade's little 307cc driver is pretty good. I've got one at 13.5º and it's a fairway finder.
Stock shaft is fine, but I had to change to a matching grip. Not wearing a glove, I only play wrap style grips.

The huge 460cc ones don't work well for me.
I have to tee the ball so high that it's like playing a ball-above-feet sidehill lie from the tee.
Also have to play it too far forward in the stance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just thought I would update this thread.

Went for a driver fitting today to just have a little go of what else is out there and let a local golf pro look at the current one.

We decided that the old 907 d2 and shaft were absolutely fine for me and no reason to replace it other than just for something new and shiny. I had a hit with a Callaway Epic and the Ping G425. No change in distance and consistency really.

Was recommended I spend the money on some lessons and played for often!
Good news and good to see the pro not simply trying to sell you a new driver. Using the cash saved for lessons will reap more long term benefits