DMD Slope Enabled Match Play

Swango1980

Visit site
Where did i say it says any thing in the rules ?
Its simply a statment of fact that some DMDs that have slope, also have the option to disable it.
You said:

"You cant use a DMD with slope function, some have the abilty to disabe it, which make them OK if its disabled..... youre just trying to confuse things"

When reading the bits in bold, it reads that you cannot use them if these features are not disabled. If this was the case, presumably this is in the rules? I was seeking clarification on this. If a golfer was using a rangefinder that could toggle between distance and slope adjusted distance, could they be disqualified, even if they said they didn't use the Slope Adjusted feature? This is why I found your comment confusing.

Surely the easy answer is simply, you can use a DMD advice to measure distance, but if it includes other features such as measuring for slope, these must not be used.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There is nothing in the rules to say it must be switched off, just that it cannot be used. I'm not sure what display they all use, so I get it wouldn't be acceptable if a golfer just saw one view, with the slope adjusted value on it. But, I know of one where you toggled the button to go back and forth between the actual distance and then the Slope adjusted distance. No way to "turn off" the slope adjusted value, but a golfer wouldn't be allowed to use it under the rules. But, nothing in rules say they would be DQ'ed simply for using that device

It's against the rules as posted by rulie to use a dmd that reads elevation changes, so, if it cant be toggled to 'off' then it would be against the rules if 8t showed an adjusted reading etc and I assume a DQ if done more than once. It's ok to use any dmd in a competition that isn't showing those things that rulie posted under NOT ALLOWED. It really is that simple

Swango1980

Visit site
It's against the rules as posted by rulie to use a dmd that reads elevation changes, so, if it cant be toggled to 'off' then it would be against the rules if 8t showed an adjusted reading etc and I assume a DQ if done more than once. It's ok to use any dmd in a competition that isn't showing those things that rulie posted under NOT ALLOWED. It really is that simple
The rule refers to what a player is allowed and not allowed to do with equipment. It doesn't say anything about the specifications of the equipment? The reason I looked into this previously, is that there were at least 3 or 4 Bushnell devices sold for hundreds of quid on American Golf that would get you disqualified under that condition (only one actually said slope could be turned off).

However, I agree in the sense that if one simply showed everything on one screen, than that would not be acceptable as the player can see it. The device I saw, as I said, just required a flick of the same button to toggle back and forth (i.e. no off button so to speak, just a toggle button). So, had a player used this device, I would in no way be comfortable about DQing them, especially if they said they didn't use that feature. Had they admitted to using that feature, then they could be penalised under the rules

Swango1980

Visit site
https://www.randa.org/en/news/2018/12/dmd-questions-answered

Q. What kind of distance-measuring devices are allowed by Rule 4.3a(1)?

"A GPS, laser, smart phone, any really – provided the device meets certain guidelines and recommendations. The important thing to remember is that the device must only be used to access and measure permitted information. The player would be in breach of the Rules if the device is used to access prohibited information, such as elevation changes and club recommendation features. Even if a device has the ability to provide information that is prohibited, a player is still only in breach of Rule 4.3a(1) if he or she uses the device to access the prohibited information."
Cheers for digging that out, that is what I suspected

Swango1980

Visit site
And confirms what we have been saying
Well, it doesn't at all, because the issue I objected to was this feature being turned off, which I believe is what you were saying. There is nothing that says this to my knowledge, and seems to have been confirmed by Traminator's post

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, it doesn't at all, because the issue I objected to was this feature being turned off, which I believe is what you were saying. There is nothing that says this to my knowledge, and seems to have been confirmed by Traminator's post

To be fair you could start an argument in a phone box alone.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
You said:

"You cant use a DMD with slope function, some have the abilty to disabe it, which make them OK if its disabled..... youre just trying to confuse things"

When reading the bits in bold, it reads that you cannot use them if these features are not disabled. If this was the case, presumably this is in the rules? I was seeking clarification on this. If a golfer was using a rangefinder that could toggle between distance and slope adjusted distance, could they be disqualified, even if they said they didn't use the Slope Adjusted feature? This is why I found your comment confusing.

Surely the easy answer is simply, you can use a DMD advice to measure distance, but if it includes other features such as measuring for slope, these must not be used.

Er but there is more than just bold bit.... But at this point, I have no idea what your point is anyway.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never had one with a slope function but I'd reckon if it's not switched off then it'll be on and therefore be against the rules. The fact that others cant check whether it's on or off is irrelevant given that golf is a game of trust, and for someone looking to cheat in golf, there are many opportunities
Mine has slope on it.
It’s useless anyway Most of the time it’s only +-3yds not many handicap players are that accurate.
I never use it.
It quite clearly has a hi viz orange background on the on/ off slide switch.
So you can see quite clearly if it’s on.
When you turn it off you can’t see any orange.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The clause at the bottom USE ADDITIONAL CARE is pertinent.

Further, from the Q & As

A GPS, laser, smart phone, any really – provided the device meets certain guidelines and recommendations. The important thing to remember is that the device must only be used to access and measure permitted information. The player would be in breach of the Rules if the device is used to access prohibited information, such as elevation changes and club recommendation features. Even if a device has the ability to provide information that is prohibited, a player is still only in breach of Rule 4.3a(1) if he or she uses the device to access the prohibited information.

Last edited:

badgergm

Visit site
The clause at the bottom USE ADDITIONAL CARE is pertinent.

Further, from the Q & As

A GPS, laser, smart phone, any really – provided the device meets certain guidelines and recommendations. The important thing to remember is that the device must only be used to access and measure permitted information. The player would be in breach of the Rules if the device is used to access prohibited information, such as elevation changes and club recommendation features. Even if a device has the ability to provide information that is prohibited, a player is still only in breach of Rule 4.3a(1) if he or she uses the device to access the prohibited information.

Which is potentially at odds with the rule itself? The rule states that measuring is not allowed. But you are allowed to measure, if you don’t access that information? I guess it’s possible the device measures both distance and elevation, and presents the information, or not, according to subsequent selections?