DIY disaster in waiting?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shed on the way, great news! 8x6 should be plenty right?

Anyway onto topic...

We have some BT gubbins on the wall of the living room as we have fibre to the property. Rather unsightly and very tempting for my toddler to pull at.

My plan is to buy this https://www.hartleysdirect.com/hartleys-white-traditional-radiator-cabinet-mini-xs.html to fit it over the gubbins on the wall.

Then cut the skirting board shape to fit if needs and cut a gap about 1-2 cm deep and 10cm ish wide on the back of the shelf to feed up cables. I will then put the router on the top and a phone too when I get them.

It says it's MDF, being new to DIY I'm wondering how hard it will be to make my adjustments and what they may look like? I'm probably going to hide the top gap anyway.

What do you think of my plans? If it works out the whole street might want them!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok had my first disaster already, and before I've even ordered the cover.

Tried to put up a towel hook, using a metal screw specially for plasterboard.

I checked for electric cables but then just made a big hole... hmm there is a stud there instead.

Good news is a bit of paint should sort it out and I will try screwing into the stud instead, if I can work out how...

Guess I need to drill first but have absolutely no idea!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
to drill into a stud you need to first drill a very thin hole, much thinner than the screw, this is called a pilot hole
just screw the screw into the pilot hole, Job Done, you wont need the rawl plug.

If you cant deal with this, then get a bloke in :)

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How big a hole did you still for the towel hook?
It should be better if you've hit a stud and not just plaster board, just go and get a wood screw instead.
As for the original question about the radiator cover, personally I'd cut this rather than the skirting board, MDF is an easy cut, the cover isn't attached to anything so makes it easier to cut than the skirting high will be awkward and risks damage to the wall, lastly if you ever need to remove the cover for any reason your skirting board won't need replaced.
I'd use hole saws for the cable holes instead of cutting it with a jigsaw or something, wil be much neater.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't mean cut that, just expand the shape already cut as we hve weird board that are higher than most.

I will give it a go and post up my before and after pics.

I need to make sure it's removable though, somehow

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You should be fine expanding the already existing cut out. You could go all fancy and cut it to shape but I'd be tempted to just expand existing, oh and if you have kids around fasten it to the wall with a couple of small, decorative brass brackets.Agree with Simba on hole saws, much neater job.
As for hitting a stud rather than using plasterboard fixings this is great - my towel rail had a habit of pulling out of plasterboard when the kids were swinging on it!

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't secure it to the wall too well. I came across someone who had done this and had screwed it to the wall and then put shelf unit next to it so I couldn't get at the screws to undo the cover. Hence I couldn't get to the "gubbins" on the wall. I had to tell the lady of the house that her hubby would have to make access before calling BT out again to fix their broadband.
Glad I only did customer end temporarily for a few months. You wouldn't believe what some people's homes are like, and how stupid some are about broadband connections.

edit. Only after posting this did I see you had said to make it removable

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If it is a studded wall you can get raw plugs that will pull behind the back of the plasterboard. Would deffo not use these at weight bearing, but will more than suffice for your needs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't mean cut that, just expand the shape already cut as we hve weird board that are higher than most.

I will give it a go and post up my before and after pics.

I need to make sure it's removable though, somehow
"

Get some cardboard ( cereal box) make a template of the skirting shape then draw this onto the cabinet it will give you a neater finish.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
SB, if it were me, i would look to move the BT master socket somewhere else in the house and then move the BB modem. When my house got reconnected by BT i got them to do this and put a new master socket under the stairs, which is now where my Modem, Router, NAS, UPS etc all live. Well away from kids that like to pull at cables!

But if you have to, the cover will work. Try and find out the name of the skirting board cut you have. Post a pic and we can work it out. If you have an off cut anywhere even better, but if not you can google the skirting, print a scale profile of it and use that as a template to cut the MDF. When you paint over the cut MDF, make sure you primer/undercoat it first, as any other paints will just get sucked in by the MDF.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would be quite cheeky to ask to move it as it's only been in 2 weeks. Guy did the whole street in one go so everyone has the same. Looking at the house layout it's a big job to get it under the stairs.

A £40 cover solves the problem AND gives us a shelf to put stuff on. I don't think it's worth moving.

No offcuts, I have a new build and they didn't leave anything! I will just make the cut outs a little bigger if I have to. I don't mind it not being perfect as it's mostly hidden behind a chair.

The cover is to protect the gubbins from the chair as much as from the toddler. Should looks sweeet when done!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would be quite cheeky to ask to move it as it's only been in 2 weeks. Guy did the whole street in one go so everyone has the same. Looking at the house layout it's a big job to get it under the stairs.

A £40 cover solves the problem AND gives us a shelf to put stuff on. I don't think it's worth moving.

No offcuts, I have a new build and they didn't leave anything! I will just make the cut outs a little bigger if I have to. I don't mind it not being perfect as it's mostly hidden behind a chair.

The cover is to protect the gubbins from the chair as much as from the toddler. Should looks sweeet when done!

Cool, mrs wants a rad cover fitted upstairs on the landing, just for the shelf!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Part way through, pre cutting of top hole for wires, working out where they go.

But first... before...

04PDSKC.jpg

Half done...
pcXDIev.jpg

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nice.
You have made a good choice. Apart from getting a shelf and hiding the kit on the wall the fact that it is a radiator cover means you have also got good ventilation for the electronic "gubbins".

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only cost £40, my screwing together leaves a little to be desired.

Would have been easier with two, one to screw and one to hold. Or if I had done it properly with pilot holes...

Lessons learnt there but as its hidden for the most part you have to look close to see the small misalignments.

Will do the hole at the back of the shelf for the wires next. Then fix it to the wall proper.

As i said, only half done.