Divots with longer irons

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gentlemen (..... and Ladies) a question on taking divots from the tee.

I have always taken a divot with the mid to shorter irons from the tee, from wedge to probably a 6 iron. Obviously, the longer the club the less of a divot I take and mainly just bruise the turf.

Just lately I've started to take a divot with my 5 iron and as low as my 3 iron.

When I say divot, with the 3 iron it's more of a brusie to the turf, taking the grass off and exposig the mud underneath without taking a clod of earth out of the tee box. With the 5 iron pretty much the same as the 3 iron but with maybe a little soil.

Each time it's a ball first, solid contact and get the desired shot I'm looking to play (Which in most cases is a straight ball flight).

I dont take a divot with woods or hybrid from the tee, just my irons.

My question. Is there a point in club length when you should stop striking the ground after the ball leaving a briuse or divot for arguments sake, a 6 iron?

Or

Is brusing the turf acceptable with the longer irons so long it's ball first and the shot hit gets the desired result?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gentlemen (..... and Ladies) a question on taking divots from the tee.

I have always taken a divot with the mid to shorter irons from the tee, from wedge to probably a 6 iron. Obviously, the longer the club the less of a divot I take and mainly just bruise the turf.

Just lately I've started to take a divot with my 5 iron and as low as my 3 iron.

When I say divot, with the 3 iron it's more of a brusie to the turf, taking the grass off and exposig the mud underneath without taking a clod of earth out of the tee box. With the 5 iron pretty much the same as the 3 iron but with maybe a little soil.

Each time it's a ball first, solid contact and get the desired shot I'm looking to play (Which in most cases is a straight ball flight).

I dont take a divot with woods or hybrid from the tee, just my irons.

My question. Is there a point in club length when you should stop striking the ground after the ball leaving a briuse or divot for arguments sake, a 6 iron?

Or

Is brusing the turf acceptable with the longer irons so long it's ball first and the shot hit gets the desired result?

Yes in short. You still want to (ideally) impart a downward blow with your long irons (helps to stop a lot of thins too!), so I would expect a bit of turf after the ball, even if it's just a bruise.

But really, why the chuff are you worrying about taking a divot or not? :D If it works, it works. Don't mess with it or worry about it, in my experience, you'll do more harm than good. I (still) have an over the top swing, which we (Bob and I) discovered after having a lesson. Bob said he wouldn't change a thing about it because I start flat and come over the top back onto plane, so it's all gravy.

a mate of mine plays golf to a fairly high standard (10ish handicap for someone that plays once a month, at the most)...In all the time I've played golf with him, he's not had any course of lessons and clips the ball off the grass with every single one of his clubs, never bothered him and he can play any shot he wants.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes in short. You still want to (ideally) impart a downward blow with your long irons (helps to stop a lot of thins too!), so I would expect a bit of turf after the ball, even if it's just a bruise.

But really, why the chuff are you worrying about taking a divot or not? :D If it works, it works. Don't mess with it or worry about it, in my experience, you'll do more harm than good. I (still) have an over the top swing, which we (Bob and I) discovered after having a lesson. Bob said he wouldn't change a thing about it because I start flat and come over the top back onto plane, so it's all gravy.

a mate of mine plays golf to a fairly high standard (10ish handicap for someone that plays once a month, at the most)...In all the time I've played golf with him, he's not had any course of lessons and clips the ball off the grass with every single one of his clubs, never bothered him and he can play any shot he wants.

Not too worried about it Az' for the reasons you say.

Just curious more than anything.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not too worried about it Az' for the reasons you say.

Just curious more than anything.

Good-o. Wouldn't want you falling foul to the same problems I had last year (the reason I still play off the handicap I do). I nearly stopped playing again after worrying so much about my swing and why stuff was and wasn't happening.

Just need to play in some qualifiers now to get my H'Cap down. :thup: