Divot bags

Fish

Banned
Visit site
To have or not to have, that is the question.

With the current weather being what it is, Greenkeepers are very busy with the rampant growth whilst catching up on other areas of the course that had to be put on the back burner, so I’d like us to be able to take divot bags out so the greenkeepers can concentrate on more pressing daily jobs.

I understand the reasons why we can’t, but I’m very much of the thinking, there’s always a way.

Surely we could have an open bin (weather permitting) with a heap of mix in every morning by the 1st tee, then bring our own bag or collect a divot bag and keep hold of it, and get some mix into our divots.

What are you all doing currently in regards to divots and bags ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Nothing. We removed the seed bins on the par 3 tees as well for obvious reasons. However whilst the course was closed a lot of members went round the course with their own buckets filling in divots but the course has been so heavily played since reopening that there are loads of divots again now.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We have a divoting evening - usually the seniors section - deal is a group go out with the greenkeepers in the evening filling divots and the club provides a curry + pint afterwards - nice social event.

Have to wait for post-lockdown to repeat.

it’s not an issue normally, I’m looking for what any clubs may be doing currently.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
As far as I know, members are volunteering to do this at our place.

We only have 2 par 3s where everyone hits an iron, so not a huge amount of work.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This may probably be a stupid question but what’s the most effective way of doing things re: use of divot bags. When you hit a shot and take a divot should you replace with the divot taken or only use mix from bag? Or combination of both?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
This may probably be a stupid question but what’s the most effective way of doing things re: use of divot bags. When you hit a shot and take a divot should you replace with the divot taken or only use mix from bag? Or combination of both?

My personal preference is to only reseed, I see too many dead divots laying on top or nearby where birds have turned them over, so seeding for me is more of a guaranteed process to that of hoping the birds stay away, or that the loose divot will take and knit back.

No doubt others will think differently.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We use to have divot bags left on a set hole which then gets rolled around the course in due course or at least we did prior to Covid. Nothing at the moment but I sort of agree with Fish to a point and there should be a way this can be done. That said, I'd far rather everybody took responsibility for pitch marks. Some greens were shocking this morning after they've been softened with the recent rain. Did twelve on one green. I get the course is far busier than normal but there is no excuse for not doing the basics