Divot Analysis

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Morning chaps, a quick one for you golf boffins out there...

After reading an article on the subject, I decided to pay more attention to what my divots were doing. It was quickly apparent that I was creating a very toe heavy divot. This was quite surprising for a couple of reasons, firstly because I hit a draw and toe heavy doesn't really seem to match up with a draw (in my non scientific mind) and secondly because I am a short arse (around 5'7).

Anyway, I obviously want to correct this and hopefully improve my ball striking. But my question is should I be working on having my hands lower at impact or should I be looking for custom fit clubs to accommodate my upright requirement?

As a side note, I have been fitted by ping before who said that my clubs should be upright, but is this just a quick fix and does the root of the problem come from my swing, especially considering my height? I did not purchase the ping clubs and currently have standard off the peg irons.

As always, thanks in advance

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
As a short arse [LOL] you should have clubs that sit FLAT, it's a swing fault you have of 'high hands' through impact.

I'd start by getting some good quality vids of your swing uploaded, might save you £700 and a few years.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Height isnt the be all and end all of lie angles. More important is arm length. So being lesser in height does not necessarily mean you'll need flat clubs.

to expand: Its a combo of Height, Arm length, Torso length, swing type that dictates your lie angle

Last edited:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What makes you think it's a swing fault? It may be it might not.

Either way toe heavy divots would suggest the clubs are helping the ball go right (right hander), so having any adjustments would need to take into account your natural shot shape.

When I was 1st fitted I was given 3 degrees upright and at the time thought this was a swing fault and I should be neutral, it was more likely the shaft bowing rather than a swing fault (never mind their been no standard standard lie angle).

Height, arm length massaged by your swing plane and athletic ability.