Dishwasher smells.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our dishwashers stinks and no I don't need to take a shower ?.
Have run it through a hot empty cycle but hasn't shifts it.
Is there anything worth trying before I pull it all out to check the plumbing on the drainage ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some dishwashers need the 'in machine filter' cleaned regularly i.e. the filter that stops hard and large bits getting in to the pump system.

Otherwise a regularly used dishwasher should not smell. I would run it empty with a standard dishwasher tablet in as per BIM guy on the hottest setting. If it still smells it is either coming from the door seal or there is no U bend in the drainage system and the smell is coming from the drains.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you refilling the salt container weekly? If not, do so. Then check the spray arms are clear, and I would be thinking you probably have blocked jets in the spray arms.Are the filters clear? Next, is it actually heating the water, and only opening the door (carefully) when its been on about 20 or so minutes will tell you.
I doubt very much it's plumbing related, so don't bother pulling it out.
What make of machine and how old is it?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you refilling the salt container weekly? If not, do so. Then check the spray arms are clear, and I would be thinking you probably have blocked jets in the spray arms.Are the filters clear? Next, is it actually heating the water, and only opening the door (carefully) when its been on about 20 or so minutes will tell you.
I doubt very much it's plumbing related, so don't bother pulling it out.
What make of machine and how old is it?

Wife does all the salt stuff, there's an alarm that goes off when it's low.
It's a Grunding, about 7 years old, bought at Currys when we moved in.
I'll check all the Jets and filters tomorrow.
Been suggested to do a white vinegar cycle , good idea ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wife does all the salt stuff, there's an alarm that goes off when it's low.
It's a Grunding, about 7 years old, bought at Currys when we moved in.
I'll check all the Jets and filters tomorrow.
Been suggested to do a white vinegar cycle , good idea ?
Your car has a warning light when the oil gets low..........
Do not wait for the salt light, do it weekly is best practice
Do you use rinse aid, and what detergent do you use?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Check the filters clean, it's normally on the inside bottom in the centre.
I always pre clean everything before placing it in the washer otherwise food particles get left in the filter and smell.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have never understood those unless you live in hard water area and need to descale.

Are the manufacturers saying dish washer tablets/pods do not clean?
I have never understood those unless you live in hard water area and need to descale.

Are the manufacturers saying dish washer tablets/pods do not clean?

They are not descalers but dedicated degreasers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check the filters clean, it's normally on the inside bottom in the centre.
I always pre clean everything before placing it in the washer otherwise food particles get left in the filter and smell.
One of the biggest appliance myths out there is that dishes must be rinsed before they go in the dishwasher. In fact, this action will decrease how effectively your dishwasher cleans its contents.

So, why is this? The enzymes in dishwasher detergents work by binding to food debris on crockery in order to clean it. Simply put, if most of the food debris has already been washed off prior, then the detergent enzymes have nothing to bind to – hence, they cannot clean the dish effectively and you may end up with a less adequate clean. So, not only is rinsing your dishes before they go into the dishwasher a huge waste of time, it’s also a waste of water and energy, too.

This persistent myth may have been passed down from our parents and grandparents from the days when dishwashers were not as effective. Modern dishwashers, however, are far more efficient than models in the past and therefore do not require pre-rinsing like in days gone by. Some dishwashers actually have in-built sensors that detect how much washing is required based on how dirty a particular load is – by rinsing the dishes first, you could be instructing your dishwasher to run a shorter and less effective wash.

Proctor & Gamble, Unilever and Miele agree

https://derkern.miele.co.uk/2020/08/05/why-you-dont-need-to-rinse-dishes-for-the-dishwasher/

Last edited: